Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb sound card making mic volume low!!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:13 AM

Hi guys, got a new mic a few days ago, and I've been having real issues since,
As you will be aware, the way forward if you want background noise and hissing is to plug the mic into the motherboard.

So I tried to get around this by ordering a cheap usb sound card my friend uses which solves all of his background noise problems (with the help of Adobe audition)

The problem is, when I plugged the usb into the pc, the mic volumes drops down to probably 5% of what it is when it's straight into the board.

For the price it cost I thought it was just a cheap usb, and I bought another one but this time the sabrent brand from Amazon which has great reviews.

Same issue, in the board the mic is brilliant, in the usb I can't even hear myself on playback.

Having Windows 10 I thought it could be a driver issue not supported so dropped back to Windows 7 only to find the issue isn't solved.

I really don't know what to do, I've tried so many fixes that I've seen online I'm completely lost,
Are there any suggestions as to what this could be?

Thanks, Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:37 AM

If the external USB modules have line in, you won't be able to plug a microphone directly in, What do the specifications give for input sensitivity?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Knowlesy

Knowlesy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:14 AM

If the external USB modules have line in, you won't be able to plug a microphone directly in, What do the specifications give for input sensitivity?

Sorry Platypus, Audio really is not my thing, you've lost me, It should just be plug and play according to the item and it's reviews online... 

Not a clue what input sensitivity is! you might have to carry me over the line with this one!

Thankyou!

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:19 AM

What are the external units you're experimenting with?

#5 Knowlesy

Knowlesy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:14 AM

What are the external units you're experimenting with?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459258855&sr=8-1&keywords=sabrent+usb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-EXTERNAL-3D-VIRTUAL-7-1-CHANNEL-AUDIO-PC-LAPTOP-SOUND-CARD-ADAPTER-/231888786811?hash=item35fda6157b:g:SfwAAOSwX~dWlCgM

Both cheap but having seen youtube videos they do the job.. Just don't understand how the people who use them plug and play and get great mic volumes.. whereas mine drops to about 5% of what it should be. 

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:41 AM

Unfortunately they don't give much information about them at all. First thought is that if your microphone is a condenser mic that needs to be supplied power, the cheap USB dongles may not give that. They might need to be used with a standard dynamic microphone (which is like a speaker backwards), You could check that by plugging headphones into the mic socket and speaking into the left headphone. If it went loud (or at least OK volume) when you did that, that's the problem.

I'm assuming that you have already checked the settings for the device in Sound in Control Panel? Depending on what onboard sound the computer has, its mic level might be controlled by its own control panel. A Plug & Play device is class compliant and is controlled by Windows default Sound panel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users