Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help/Guidance for a network scenario question?!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jawd

Jawd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:19 AM

Hi there,

I am an absolute newbie and beginning to slowly work through a big network+ theory study book but am struggling with some things and don't really know anyone to get help from. I have read the following practice example to try and do but just don't know where to start!! And the damn book doesn't actually have any answers for these scenarios!! Any help/explanation of how you would answer the following would be much appreciated!!! 

*You are taking the role of an employee in an IT department, You have been asked to research and configure a network addressing system for a network environment. The board of your client has decided to investigate the implications of dividing the network across 3 possible new locations. One main office must be able to accommodate at least 100 hosts. the proposed other 2 new offices are only intended to provide a shop front so will need no more than 14 hosts each. Networking components should allow, where possible, for expandability in size, capacity and speed. There should be a a permanent internet gateway for entire network. Remote Management of our clients network, using terminal services technology, across the internet WAN should be available. Domain controllers shall not host services apart from DNS and DHCP. Any other required network services shall be hosted on non-Domain controller servers.

You need to design a series of subnets which would suit a network spread over 3 geographical locations, between each location there will need to be a pair of routers. each pair of routers connecting via the leased lines will require their own subnet. 

1) You need to determine which subnets are required and design an appropriate addressing scheme using the network 192.168.200.0    Identify the number of subnets needed(one for each location and one for each pair of routers) for the LAN, the address ranges for each subnet and the subnet mask. 

2)Identify the location and number of domain controllers, DNS servers, DHCP servers, web servers, and email servers.

3) List the server services that need to exist and that need to be configured.*

So im guessing theres 4 subnets needed? so subnet mask 255.255.255.192? Or is it more?? I have no idea where to start with the addressing stuff!! I'm struggling with subnets so please help/explain what I should have done here so i can get a better understanding and attempt the other scenarios by myself!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:39 AM

Meanwhile in the real world, you don't subnet, you use a 10.x.x.x network and every wing/floor/building gets its own network.  This is not something you will ever be asked to do in the real world.

According to number 1 you need five subnets, one for each location and one for each pair of routers, six subnets if you're connecting everything (main -> site 1 -> site 2 -> main)

In the real world everything will be at the head quarters location.  For larger locations you may have a local DNS/DHCP server.  In this situation it sounds like the main location will have all of the servers and each remote location will have a domain controller that does DNS and DHCP.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

Usual star topology would only need three subnets which is one lan per location.  Subnets between routers doesn't matter since those will be provided by the ISP.  Point to points require a router at each end which means there are two routers at the main site and one router at each remote site for a total of two pairs.  You could put two wan interfaces in the main router so you would only have one for a total of three routers.

192.168.200.0 with subnet mask 255.255.255.128 gives you a range for the main office of 192.168.200.0 - 192.168.200.127 with 126 hosts [100 isn't a option]

Now you figure how to divide what is left

192.168.200.128 with 255.255.255.240 gives you a range of 192.168.200.128 - 192.168.200.143 with 14 hosts

192.168.200.144 with 255.255.255.240 gives you a range of 192.168.200.144 - 192.168.200.159 with 14 hosts

Given the criteria of being able to expand at each site you would increase the each subnet proportionally so as to allow for more addresses until you filled the class c subnet.  I will let you do that work :-)

Normally you configure the two remote sites routers to provide dhcp services in their appropriate subnets.  This way you are not running dhcp services across the leased lines. They would point at the AD DNS server at the main site for dns.  Servers would be at the main site and the main site would also have the internet pipe that all would be using so you could firewall/monitor traffic for everyone.

For the company I worked for I designed the ip plan based on a class b subnet.  Each of the 10 sites was subnetted within that address space.

We do subnet in the real world per site and even in some circumstances within a site.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 30 March 2016 - 10:05 AM.

#4 Jawd

Jawd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:50 AM

awesome thanks guys thats been really helpful :thumbup2:

is this a similar question to what is in the Network+ Exam?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users