Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing XP on a USB Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kawczynk

kawczynk

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:16 AM

Hello.

I wanted to modify XP a little bit and to install it on a SATA drive connnected to USB. I don't want to install it on VM so I wanted to install it on an external drive. After installation it starts up and suddenly shows Stop 7B and BSoD. Do I have to install and configure it on a drive put inside the computer? Will it work connected to USB?

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

Microsoft says XP cannot be booted from a USB drive.

There is a PDF here that explains the steps required to boot from USB but the forum linked to in the PDF is gone and this is not supported by Microsoft so your results may vary

Here is a web page that explains the steps. Read the comments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users