Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

quickcam install probs with 98 and USB conflicts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 riverchild

riverchild

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 05 December 2004 - 03:07 PM

ok....

this is the 6th time i've described this today...and no one has been able to help me with this....

i'm running 98...with an SIS chipset...i bought a logitech quickcam messenger brand new and tried to install it 6 times. i go through the install....and everything is fine....and then i go to plug in the cam when it says to...and it can't find it...in the device manager, when i click on the properties for it, it says 'the NTKERN.VXD device loader could not load the device driver.' ditto for the mic that goes with it.
when i hit update driver....it says i have the most up to date driver going. i've uninstalled and reinstalled this silly thing about 6 times now...clean installs each time...and i'm unbeleivably frustrated. when i go to the logitech help site...it says that SIS chipsets are notoriously problematic for this cam. it says: If you are using a SISŪ chipset, the following BIOS settings are recommended:

Plug and Play Operating System set to Enabled
Assign IRQ's set to AUTO
BIOS support for DMA set to Disabled (if this exists)
Write Prefetch set to Disable (if this exits)
USB Error Detection set to Disabled
Next, it is recommended to remove USB entries from the Device Manager. To do this:

Click the "Start" button.
Click on "Settings", then "Control Panel".
Double click on the "System" icon. Windows 2000 users, click on the Hardware Tab.
Click on the "Device Manager" tab.
Click on the plus (+) sign next to "Universal serial bus controller".
Highlight the first entry listed under Universal serial bus controller.
Click the Remove button and confirm the device removal.
Repeat steps 6 and 7 for each entry under this section.
Close the Device Manager and reboot.

however....i also have a scanner running off that usb card....and i don't want to go mucking things up....so....any suggestions? i paid 80 canadian for the thing because i had a quickcam on my system before, and it worked. now...i just want to throw it out the window. i need a cam and a scanner for my work (i'm an artist)...but this is getting ridiculous.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:55 PM

Hey riverchild :thumbsup:

This post must have slipped under the radar. are yo still having problems?

#3 ogrepat

ogrepat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2004 - 05:06 PM

Hey riverchild :thumbsup:

This post must have slipped under the radar. are yo still having problems?

Whether riverchild does, or doesn't...

I do. Same problem--I think--certainly the description looks the same. Only the machine is running XP.

Any answer would be appreciated.

Stupid SIS chipset...

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2004 - 09:07 PM

Riverchild may have to flash his Bios. He can use USB with 98SE but not FE.

ogrepat: Need more info regarding the device, drivers, your computer and what you have done so far.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 ogrepat

ogrepat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2004 - 01:58 PM

ogrepat: Need more info regarding the device, drivers, your computer and what you have done so far.

The device we're installing is a webcam, a Logitech Quickcam Orbit (my son wants to try his hand at some animation).

The computer is a no-brand box from Fry's with an Athlon AMD mobo. It was set up as a Linux box, and I've wiped that and installed Windoxs XP. SIS chipset.

Logitech's advice:

If you are using a SISŪ chipset, the following BIOS settings are recommended:

* Plug and Play Operating System set to Enabled
* Assign IRQ's set to AUTO
* BIOS support for DMA set to Disabled (if this exists)
* Write Prefetch set to Disable (if this exits)
* USB Error Detection set to Disabled

I've done the first two steps, the third and fourth don't exist... and neither does the fifth (unless it's hidden in language that disguises it completely from being USB related).

Next, it is recommended to remove USB entries from the Device Manager. To do this:

1. Click the "Start" button.
2. Click on "Settings", then "Control Panel".
3. Double click on the "System" icon. Windows 2000 users, click on the Hardware Tab.
4. Click on the "Device Manager" tab.
5. Click on the plus (+) sign next to "Universal serial bus controller".
6. Highlight the first entry listed under Universal serial bus controller.
7. Click the Remove button and confirm the device removal.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for each entry under this section.
9. Close the Device Manager and reboot.

Ok all the way to step 7. My option isn't "Remove", but rather "Disable". I did so, for each (step 8), closed and rebooted.

Didn't work.

However, I've gone back to their site to review the problem and found this, too (just today):

Additionally, you may need to change the SIS Host Controller driver to a Standard OHCI USB Host Controller, as described <link to directions for the ALI chipset...>...

# Click the "Start" button.
# Click on "Settings", then "Control Panel".
# Double click on the "System" icon. Windows 2000 users, click on the Hardware Tab.
# Click on the "Device Manager" tab.
# Click on the plus (+) sign next to "Universal serial bus controller".
# Double click on the ALI Host Controller entry that is listed.
# Click on the Driver tab.
# Click on the Update Driver button.
# Click Next at the dialog box.
# Select the option to Display a list of drivers hen prompted, and click Next.
# Select the Standard OHCI USB Host Controller and click Next.
# Follow the onscreen prompts until the standard driver is installed. NOTE: You may be prompted for your Windows CD; please have it handy

This last step I haven't been able to try yet--and won't until tonight, probably; a combination of having to boot someone off his new system and the need to leave in the next few minutes for a family gathering.

I'll try it later and check back in.

Have I described what I've got and the situation well enough?

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:33 PM

Yup...in the optionwhere it says to disable the usb controller, did you disable them? if you did and they are stil dsiabled the webcam wont work as they are disabled. If you have a delete or uninstall option, use that instead for step 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users