Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adding ram..Which port?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:43 AM

Hello guys. I just purchased a two gig ram from crucial and am wanting to put it in my hp. I have two ports, however I just wanted to see if anyone knew which port would be carrying the 1gig(out of three) beforehand...get a visual if you will. I know I could just open my laptop myself, but I am a very destructive person and have a tendency to break things. So I'd like lower the odds of screwing this up. Thanks a bunch guys?

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2016 - 03:27 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

Unfortunately there is no way to tell which slot has which SO-DIMM without opening the laptop. The SO-DIMMs (memory modules) should be labeled with a sticker stating their size.

P.S: Did you make sure to get the same speed as you currently have in your laptop? different speed modules in the same PC is a recipe for disaster.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:14 AM

OMG you wouldn't believe how hard it was to get my browser open and on this forum...long
story...Not enough ram.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell which slot has which SO-DIMM without opening the laptop. The SO-DIMMs (memory modules) should be labeled with a sticker stating their size.

P.S: Did you make sure to get the same speed as you currently have in your laptop? different speed modules in the same PC is a recipe for disaster.

UH-Oh. What do you mean? Can you add a little granularity to what you just said. I used Crucial's website and let it scan my system. I gave me the options and I chose the 2gig ram 800 over the 600 whatever. See this is usually how these kinds of things go for me. Looks like I got a head start.

Side note, strange how Crucial doesn't give you a confirmation thank you for order email..

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

OMG you wouldn't believe how hard it was to get my browser open and on this forum...long
story...Not enough ram.

UH-Oh. What do you mean? Can you add a little granularity to what you just said. I used Crucial's website and let it scan my system. I gave me the options and I chose the 2gig ram 800 over the 600 whatever. See this is usually how these kinds of things go for me. Looks like I got a head start.

Side note, strange how Crucial doesn't give you a confirmation thank you for order email..

Is it just one stick of ram? If so, are you just switching it out or do you want to add it to the ram inside?

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

It's fairley simple, just locate the compartment for the ram is on the underside of the laptop, remove the door, and look in. (Make sure the laptop is turned OFF) you should see how many modules there are and what slots they are in. Make sure you ground yourself before touching anything, the modules are usually held in by a clip on the side. Pull the clip away from the module, it should pop up and you should be able to slide it out of the slot. There will be a sticker on the module listing its type, size, speed, and perhaps timing.

Note if the memory you ordered is faster then what you have in it, or vise versa, if you mix them together all the ram will run at the speed of the slowest ram module.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:19 PM

story...Not enough ram.

Is it just one stick of ram? If so, are you just switching it out or do you want to add it to the ram inside?
If I understand correctly...
OP has a laptop with 3GB RAM. (1x2GB and 1x1GB)
OP purchased a single 2GB SO-DIMM from crucial.

OP wants to replace the 1GB SO-DIMM in his/her laptop with the 2GB SO-DIMM they ordered.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

I understood it that way, which is why I answered the way I did-unless there is someone on here with that very exact type of laptop, the OP is the only one who can figure out that information by opening the cover and looking. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

I understood it that way, which is why I answered the way I did-unless there is someone on here with that very exact type of laptop, the OP is the only one who can figure out that information by opening the cover and looking. :D

I figured you did, but I was trying to head off any misunderstanding before it took root.

#9 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:46 AM

Both valid. I have two ports, one underneath my keyboard. So I think that it would be easier to go through the bottom port and take a looksie. Back to my question a few posts ago regarding what ScathEnfys said about speeds. If they are different, how might my computer malreact?

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:17 AM

Depends on how different. If they are the same type but different speeds then they will run at the speed if the slowest module. There is a chance they won't work at all, but only a small one. If they are different types (ddr2 vs ddr3) they will not work at all.

If you used crucial to figure out if it's the right type of RAM, chances are the type you ordered will be right.

picard5.jpg

#11 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:24 AM

The RAM came in today and I watched a youtube video on the install which helped a ton. The Crucial ram added A LOT of speed to my computer and now gets me thinking what else I can do that's not too elaborate to increase speed.

I talked to the tech support and he was telling that their SSD drives would also increase speed. They even come with the software that helps with the mirror (easy way) and I would need to buy a usb cable of sorts???

I'm thinking I should just get a duplicate 2gig ram to swap out my old one. I looked to see my 1 gig was made by Elpida. One thing I have to say about the Crucial ram is that the boards are very delicate and chip easy if you don't know this already.

Oh and the 1 gig ram was conveniently on the bottom panel rather than under the keyboard. I guess it would make sense as one would naturally want to upgrade and need the smaller RAM to be accessible first.

I definitely need to do more and it's not expensive as buying a new computer! Awesome.....Thanks to ScathEnfys, the_patriot11 for the help and others that read. Cheers, I'll probably be back with another question. Everyone is so smart here.

Edited by allstock, 02 April 2016 - 02:27 AM.

#12 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:10 AM

An SSD drive would definitely increase the speed of starting windows and loading programs / files. However, they are still much more expensive per GB than HDDs.

Thanks to ScathEnfys, the_patriot11 for the help and others that read.

You're welcome on behalf of Bleeping Computer :)

Cheers, I'll probably be back with another question.

we'll be waiting :)

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

I have my primary OS installed on a SSD and all my files on a traditional hard drive...of course thats hard to do with a laptop, but a SSD would indeed give a nice performance boost. Glad you got it figured out, and your welcome to come back any time and as much as you need. :D

picard5.jpg

#14 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

I talked to the tech support and he was telling that their SSD drives would also increase speed. They even come with the software that helps with the mirror (easy way) and I would need to buy a usb cable of sorts???

Yeah, Solid State Drives (SSDs) are much faster than conventional Hard Drives, in that they have no mechanical parts to move, everything is stored in a bunch of flash chips on the drive. SSDs are much, much faster than Hard Drives; usually the only limiting factor is the interface speed.

What the tech support meant by "mirror" is that the program would basically make an exact copy of your old drive (hence 'mirror') and put it on the SSD.

Edited by Kirbyofdeath, 04 April 2016 - 12:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users