Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VIA sound card issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LaurenM

LaurenM

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:12 AM

Hello

I have an Asus G75 gaming laptop here, an old knockaround, and I have a vexing problem. I cannot launch a game (World of Warcraft) in 64 bit mode, but it launches fine in 32 bit. With the help of some others the problem was narrowed down to the sound card/driver which is a VIA sound card.

If I disable the sound card the game launches fine in 64bit. The same can be said if I uninstall the drivers.

This is the message that greets me when I try to launch the game in 64 bit (I have attached it as well):

http://imgur.com/U0HeoVh

Okay, I was told it could be a memory conflict or a driver conflict. Anyone have any ideas how I would go about fixing this?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:51 PM

My approach would be to see if the sound card will work with the generic WIN OS, let it find the driver needed.  You may find the fault in the registry but that's for the pros to mess with.  I have seen some install programs that come with a plugin card overwrite interrupts and make registry changes.  Possibly a restore back to before the fault occurred and a registry examination might reveal the  changes.

#3 LaurenM

LaurenM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

I did try using the default windows driver. I uninstalled everything (the game launched in 64 bit), then I installed the windows driver and no dice. Do you have any good recommendations for methods or software that could scan my registry for errors. I know I can look that up, but to have a recommendation from an unbiased source would be good.

Thank you for the response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users