Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with customizing Debian Jesse CD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 K12RiV

K12RiV

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:15 PM

i am trying to created a CD for debian that will be able to boot and needs no interaction. i was also hoping i could have it auto install packages like plex media server and transmission. but i have not had any luck finding any useful information that would let me do it. i have tried the pre-seeding guide from debian.org but none of that has enough information to get me started or even finish.

im running ubuntu as a host  and i have debian as my guest in virtualbox.

i have downloaded a debian iso and i want to customize it but cant help would be appretiated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

Hi K12RiV, and :welcome: to the Linux & Unix Section. I note you are a member of 2 years standing, just a little longer than me.

If I can coax a little more information out of you, for the benefit of those whom may assist?:

1. From your Profile, you have an AMD A8-4500M CPU in an HP Pavilion with 4GB RAM, is that still so?
  2. The A8-4500M has 64-bit support, so do I take it you are using or wishing to use Debian 8 64-bit?
  3. And which version of Ubuntu are you running, down to the Desktop Environment (DE)? eg 14.04 with Unity DE, 15.10 with MATE DE, &c?
  4. Is the Windows 7 Pro still there, and are you dual-booting fully installed Ubuntu on a dedicated Partition, with the Debian VM installed under that?

The more you can tell us, the easier to tailor a solution for your needs.

With screenshots insertion, Linux & Unix does not (yet) have the file attachment protocol available in Windows Sections of BC :whistle:

You will need an Image Hosting service, see my Template below

Newbies on screenshots -

If you need to know how to post a screenshot in the Linux Section, you can read, at Linux How-To and Tutorial Section, NickAu's Topic “How to post a screenshot Linux style”. Or click

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558714/how-to-post-a-screen-shot-linux-style/

or for more choices in Image Hosting sites, see Moderator Stolen's Post here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot/?hl=%2Btinypic+%2Bimgur+%2Bphotobucket#entry3386653

… #2 refers.

More recently, in helping another Member, they used http://postimage.org (formerly postimg.org), I joined it, and they are also BC friendly

I myself have little experience with Debian, although I will installing v8 next few weeks. I have used LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) before but not currently, and am currently running MX-15, which is based on Debian Jessie 8.2 but with enhancements.

I won't try to "hard sell" you on another Linux if Debian is your choice, but it is an interesting one if this is your first "excursion" with Linux?

Specifically on your subject matter:

1. Googling up "debian plex media server transmission" reveals a number of options, one at least as recent as 2014.
  2. Ditching transmission from the search reveals some as recent as 2015

I am not trying to give you "the flick" offsite, when answers from someone here may be only minutes to hours away.

Note, though, that if Transmission is the bit torrent client I think it is, this website does not condone, nor help with anything related to P2P and torrents.

Not that these are not legal, more about security, I expect. And yes, a number of the Linux Distro sites offer torrent as a download option, go figure.

Hope this helps a little, and that your stay with us is enjoyable.

:wizardball: Wizard

#3 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:05 AM

Okay my computer specs are all correct and im an running straight ubuntu 14.04 LTS as my sould system (So i can learn linux) I use VM's for other needs (School, etc)

my goal is to run debian as a server install as i already have debian running in server form but due to my setup and hardware its difficult to install since its headless and requires input to install. which is why i want to automate, so i looked up preseeding and it seems the "guides" on the wiki are too hard for me to understand since im still new to Linux especially debian.

The plexmediaserver and transmission stuff are just main server uses (Mediaserver) i just want them to be able to be installed with minimal SSHing.

my server specs are:

CPU:Intel® Pentium® CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz

MB:Supermicro Motherboard Micro ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboards X10SLL-S-O

Boot Drive:Mtron Ssd Sata 16Gb Pro 7500

second drive: WD RED

i just want to burn debian onto a disk with it able to automate its installation and maybe install some other packages so i dont have to manually.

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:04 AM

Thanks K12RiV for providing that data. It will likely help others more knowledgeable than I in these matters. I understand in principle what you are talking about, but the hands-on knowledge and experience is not something I have acquired (yet!).

Hopefully, "The Cavalry" will be along soon, I'd ask your patience.

I have an iso of my own, a result of creating a morphed Distro by accident, but I have not yet come to the point of being able to get into the iso and customise it. My aim is to get into it, eliminate or reduce the bloat concomitant with duplication, rebadge certain packages and add/subtract others, and then see if I can make a viable Distro out of it. But that could come about anytime between now and the end of the year, of no help to you right now.

Stay tuned, and I will watch this Topic with interest. Good luck.

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,385 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hi

Try this.

https://codeghar.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/automated-customized-debian-installation-using-preseed/

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:06 PM

Have a look at these files. Two are instructions for remastering an ISO image and

the third is a script that automates the build process

http://rawcreations.net/downloads/custom_iso/

Also have a look at PXE (network) booting:

http://www.howtogeek.com/57601/what-is-network-booting-pxe-and-how-can-you-use-it/

This will let a PC boot up, retrieve an image from the PXE server and install with no interaction.

my goal is to run debian as a server install as i already have debian running in server form but due to my setup and hardware its difficult to install since its headless and requires input to install.

Can you provide more info,please. What keeps you from attaching a monitor and keyboard for the install?

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:36 AM

K12RIV,  :welcome: to the Linux Community of Bleeping Computer Forums! :thumbup2:

Looks like Nick & raw about has given you some good advise to go on, if needed, can you borrow an extra keyboard & mouse from someone to get started? It's the only obstacle I see getting in the way. Some of the information on the HowToGeek site, you'll have to chance into your name.

sudo mkdir -p /tftpboot/howtogeek/menus
sudo mkdir -p /tftpboot/howtogeek/linux
sudo mkdir -p /tftpboot/howtogeek/pics
sudo mkdir -p /tftpboot/howtogeek/utils

Where it says /howtogeek/ would be your name, in lower case letters. Any numbers will remain the same. 

So if it were going to me (going my my Forum username), it would be:

sudo mkdir -p /tftpboot/cat1092/menus
sudo mkdir -p /tftpboot/cat1092/linux
sudo mkdir -p /tftpboot/cat1092/pics
sudo mkdir -p /tftpboot/cat1092/utils

See what I mean? :)

A little practice will make you better at accomplishing your goal. Note that I haven't ran a server, am going by the provided instruction & inputting my name to assist you. Of course you'd use your name in those fields. 

Any more questions, feel free to ask. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:12 AM

thank you to every one who has posted but nicks solution seems the most Appropriate since i was able to build most of the iso i just need to configure the preseeding file correctly :) i guess if i need any extra packages installed allong with boot ill have to find out how to do that xD. I may also look into raw's answers as well thank yous :)

#9 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

i cannot seem to get the iso to install.. after editing the preseed file for jesse, whenever i install it automatically gets through most of it but fails to partition the drive. it just tells me no root file system defined and i do not know why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users