Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with update on ZoneAlarm

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:21 PM

I've used ZA Free a long time.

What went wrong with my last ZoneAlarm update? It updated the program, not viruses.

After my most recent update to ZA Free, it started misbehaving. When it loads, it tells me there is no disk in  the drive (Devices/Harddisk1/DR1). Well, of course there isn't. There IS no such drive.

I've used a reliable app to clean out all the megabytes of junk files, right after I go offline. After the update, ZA blocks my effort to let it clean what it found. I have to Exit ZA, do the cleaning, then reload the "zatray" file.

I've noticed no other ill-effects, BUT I'm wondering if ZA is still effective, and that it really DOES block internet access when I tell it to.

Should I reinstall the update? Or live with this inconvenience? Or revert to the most recent version? Is this possibly the result of some kind of interference?

Thanks muchly,

Holly B.

Edited by hamluis, 29 March 2016 - 08:36 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Firewalls - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

What is your " I've used a reliable app to clean out all the megabytes of junk files " ??

Have you used Any type of Quick Fix Registry Cleaner ??

Clear Cache/Temp Files
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop

• Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.  Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it could reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

The most simple and effective way to do this.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#3 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

This is the Windows 7 forum, is it not? I do not have Vista.

The reliable app is Wise Care 365, and I've used it several years, every time I go offline. It has served me very well.

I would never use a Quick Fix registry cleaner. I'd only use something that tells me why an entry was found and gives me a chance to check out each one.

Wise has a registry cleaner that I only use occasionally. But that isn't the problem, since it only cleans out registry entries that are useless for some reason. It is not a high-powered registry cleaner. It does NOT evaluate registry entries, and I can click each one that is found to find the reason. The reasons are always straightforward and understandable.

So Wise Care and its registry cleaner are not the cause. I've been using them while  ZA had been updated several times in the past. This problem is likely in the ZA installer.

I tried to revert to an earlier versison but none could be found.

I'm downloading TFC now. Back with results later.

Thank you.

#4 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

I really didn't like the fact that this cleaner makes the changes, without letting me have any say in the matter. That's the same objection I'd have to a registry cleaner. I can only trust an app if it does nothing till I have approved it.

I also disliked the fact that the results were shown to me in text FAR too small for me to read.

So far, I see no harm done. But it did nothing to help with my problem, either. Every problem is still there.

ZA keeps telling me the update is overdue, but the update always fails.

If you can suggest something else, I'll try it.

Thanks

Holly B.

#5 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:00 PM

Wise Care 365 is a Registry cleaner with a few other minor add-ons included.

Your Registry is never "dirty" so it never needs cleaning, just a few Temporary Files are created when you install and remove programs.

If Z.A. still gives you problems, Uninstall, and Reinstall the program with the directions left at their Forum.

Never use any program that claims to "Clean or Optimize your Registry". Only ever use a Temp File Cleaner.

T.F.C has been the industry standard for many years, as the alternative CCleaner has too many settings, unless you understand the program.

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#6 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

! / Windows Vista and Win 7 both use similar operating systems, so advice can be interchanged.

2 / You have not responded for quite a while, so please create a new topic if you need other help -

Good Luck -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users