Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive thrashing after malware/virus/trojan infection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pivotmach

pivotmach

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:24 PM

Hello,

I am using Windows 10 and accidentally installed an executable file I downloaded that turned out to be malicious. Among the obvious symptoms that occurred (adware, browser setting changes, etc), my system became unusably slow.  I have run and cleaned with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Kaspersky Total Security multiple times.  Multiple maleware and trojan problems were found. Also, Windows Defender detected and removed problems on its on.  No more issues are being detected.  The malware installed/problems I was able to see were:

KNCTR

MPC Cleaner

Media Assistant

Quicky Translation

S5 Mark

Space Sound Pro

Note up

"Activate Windows Now" pop up window.

(Since I thought the MalwareBytes and Kaspersky could be causing the slow system, I completely uninstalled these programs and all related files. I'm not sure any logs of the problems found still exist)

However, my system is still extremely slow.  Task Manager shows disk usage at near 100% most of the time, with the following processes using it the most (randomly):

System and compressed memory

Service Host:Local System (Network Restricted)(8)

Runtime Broker (this has also caused out of memory messages)

I have performed with no problems found:

System File Check

DISM restore health

CHKDSK

I have played with the pagefile sizes in Advanced System Settings with no luck.

When booting in Safe Mode, the problems stops.

Am I still infected? Is there a way I can stop the disk thrashing?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

Can I suggest you take the time to read and follow the advice here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

#3 pivotmach

pivotmach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

Thank you for the response. Are you instructing me to go ahead and post in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum?  I ask because the link to the advice you posted looks to be for posting in that forum.  I did read the instructions for posting in this forum (Am I infected?), and it seemed this is the appropriate forum, since although I do know I was infected, I do not know if I am currently.  It seems posting in this forum should be the first step.

If you are referring to "a slow computer not always caused by Malware", yes I did read the advice, as per the instructions, located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

about this. I went through the list and had no luck improving the performance. Also, my computer went from a perfectly healthy state, to mostly unusable at the same precise moment I installed the executable malware file. So I wonder if I am still infected.

If you could please clarify that I should go ahead and post in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs as per that forum's instructions, I would appreciate it.  Thank you again.

#4 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:43 PM

Thank you for the response. Are you instructing me to go ahead and post in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum?  I ask because the link to the advice you posted looks to be for posting in that forum.  I did read the instructions for posting in this forum (Am I infected?), and it seemed this is the appropriate forum, since although I do know I was infected, I do not know if I am currently.  It seems posting in this forum should be the first step.

If you are referring to "a slow computer not always caused by Malware", yes I did read the advice, as per the instructions, located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

about this. I went through the list and had no luck improving the performance. Also, my computer went from a perfectly healthy state, to mostly unusable at the same precise moment I installed the executable malware file. So I wonder if I am still infected.

If you could please clarify that I should go ahead and post in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs as per that forum's instructions, I would appreciate it.  Thank you again.

I am not instructing anything. I am merely just suggesting what I would do if I was in your position. If this problem occurred after I discovered what I thought might be an infection then I would want to make sure that all traces of malware were eliminated before proceeding onto the next steps. Not only that the tools that the helpers use in the malware removal logs forum may also help identify other problems with your PC that may or may not be malware related. 

#5 pivotmach

pivotmach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

I am not instructing anything. I am merely just suggesting what I would do if I was in your position. If this problem occurred after I discovered what I thought might be an infection then I would want to make sure that all traces of malware were eliminated before proceeding onto the next steps. Not only that the tools that the helpers use in the malware removal logs forum may also help identify other problems with your PC that may or may not be malware related. 

That's good advice. I'll go ahead and just post there. Thanks.

#6 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

That's good advice. I'll go ahead and just post there. Thanks.

You're welcome. I hope you get everything sorted. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users