Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SomersetGuy

SomersetGuy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

Hi I'm trying to fix my nephew's laptop.  It is a Toshiba P75-A7100 running an Intel Core I7 processor. It came with Windows 8.1 installed and he upgraded to Windows 10 when it was available.  other than these recent developments the laptop has been running fine.

Right now I'm getting a Windows failed to start message.

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

History:

He was receiving Unexpected Store Exception errors, the first time while updating a steam game, then while working on a photoshop project.  He ran system file checker (sfc.exe) and the output file has 23,977 lines most of which say Primative installers committed for repair.  (i have a copy of this file if needed)

I removed his hard drive and attached to my laptop with a USB to IDE/SATA cable adapter and ran a AVG ( my anti virus) scan on it and it came back clean. I was going to copy his documents, music and other user files to my laptop but under C:\Users his account is missing.  All that's there is Default, Default.migrated, Public, and TEMP (which looks weird to me, I dont have a TEMP user on either one of my PCs)

I reinstalled his harddrive into his laptop, downloaded a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's website burned it to a dvd, went into his bios and changed it to boot from dvd first. I tried to run Startup Repair. It went through diagnosing yur PC and Attempting Repairs.  I then received a message saying Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC.

I then tried Reset this PC saving files and received a message saying The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.

Editing to add:

I found a found.000 and found.001 folder on his hard drive while it was attached to my pc today.  While unlocking those folders AVG scanned both drives, mine and his.  It detected 2 instances of "EID_pe_is corrupted", a corrupted executable file and secured it in the virus vault on his drive. They were located in D:\Users\TEMP\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\17.3.5892.0626\Telemetry.dll and (same path)FileSyncShell.dll

Would appreciate any help.

Edited by SomersetGuy, 29 March 2016 - 03:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users