Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hiden Folder now not available

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DanielleBeer

DanielleBeer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

Hi there

I hide a folder and needed it unhidden.  I changed the settings already to show hidden folders.  I can see where it used to be.  When I try and open it a message comes up saying it refers to a location that is unavailable. In properties, I cannot click to unhide the folder now either.  When I go to the Security tab it says the requested security information is either unavailable or cant be displayed. When I try to click unhide it comes up saying the system cannot find the specified file.  I have tons of subfolders in this file which are very important.  Can anyone help so I can have this fully restored??

TIA

Edited by hamluis, 29 March 2016 - 05:46 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:18 PM

Have you tried working in safe mode to solve the problem?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

Please do a Malware check before doing any of the steps in this post,so we know your system is clean.

Microsoft article here might be usefull.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/hidden-folders-cant-be-unhidden/b9a55349-3e88-4d5c-89ee-acc52fd88b6a?auth=1

(I would try running this command on it first i think,but do the  Malware check first)

Type cmd in the start menu search,right click on cmd icon and choose"run as administrator" type this " attrib -r -s -h g:\* "

note : replace "g:\" with the letter of your hard disk or thumbdrive and insert the specific file names in " * "

Troubleshooting this issue may involve editing the registry,which isnt a problem,but be sure to back the registry up before making any changes to the registry.

This progran will do an exelent registry backupif you dont have one.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

I would strongly recommend that you do a Malware scan before trying anything as these sorts of issues can be caused by them.

Scan with your Antivirus program and then Malwarebytes antimalware,you can get it here if you dont have it.(Just click on Download free version),install and run the program.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/dl-confirm/

Let us know how it goes or if you need any further help.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 29 March 2016 - 03:44 PM.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:04 PM

I hide a folder and needed it unhidden.

Can you tell us how you hid the folder?  Did you use a third party program to hide the folder?

#5 DanielleBeer

DanielleBeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:51 PM

Ive tried everything you have said... when use command prompt it says file not found.

I think what happened is I somehow denied access to all users, changed the permission for everyone somehow?? I hid it by simply checking the hide file box in properties.  But I believe what happened is every user was denied.  So now I don't have access to anything it keeps saying file not found on everything and the security tab shows but has a red x on it saying unavailable.

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:13 PM

As Aouti says it might be helpfull to know how you hid the folder in the first place.

Just a thought,have you tried searching individually for any of the files in the folder to see what happens,if you could see them you could just copy them to a new folder.

Long shot but you could try unhiding Superhidden files to see if that brings it up.

Instructions for two methods below,if you use the registry edit,please backup your registry first.

http://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/how-can-i-view-super-hidden-files

If you dont have it,this program will do an exelent registry backup.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Edited by Wolverine 7, 01 April 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:36 PM

I hid it by simply checking the hide file box in properties.

Is the method you used is the first one in this article?  If so, the same article explains how to unhide the folder.

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

I think what happened is I somehow denied access to all users, changed the permission for everyone somehow?? I hid it by simply checking the hide file box in properties.  But I believe what happened is every user was denied.  So now I don't have access to anything it keeps saying file not found on everything and the security tab shows but has a red x on it saying unavailable.

Was leaning in this direction,must be a way to reconfigure the permisions,have some time today,ill see if i can research it and come up with something,unless someone better qutalified chips in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users