Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has the dust settled enough to upgrade from 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:21 PM

And maybe a weekly yea or nay poll would help us E.A.M. equipment fossils.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

It depends on what you mean by "dust".

And what kind of weekly poll do you want?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Rapier

Rapier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:56 AM

I'm asking if people think Win 10 is stable enough to take the free upgrade.

A monthly poll would probably be best. The poll would pose the same question to see if more people think Win 10 is stable enough to take the free upgrade.

#4 jct5509

jct5509

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:59 AM

No nothing but troubles for me...wish I'd never upgraded

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,602 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:29 AM

8.1 should probe the path of least resistance.

Hey just back up your stuff and see for yourself 

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:22 AM

Personally, I never had any issues with my Windows 10, so to me, it's stable.

And there's no need for a monthly poll. Just create one that never expires and check the results each month I guess.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

There's more than one way to skin an upgrade/update.

First off, most technicians recommend against doing an upgrade/update.

We prefer to recommend a clean install - it avoids the problems associated with older, well-used systems being updated.

But we're also realizing that BIOS/UEFI updates play a larger part in Windows than they did in previous versions of the OS.S
So, with W10, it's essential to have the latest version before updating.

Finally, it depends on the actual system that you're updating.

I've had W8 work on a number of systems that were "borderline" for W8 - and I definitely wouldn't suggest that you put W10 on them.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:11 PM

For me, the currently released build seems stable. I'm running it as my primary system. I do very regular backups and scheduled images. I'm not trying to beat it to death, just my normal tasks and surfing.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

jct5509, how long ago did you upgrade? there may be hope of getting back to your old OS. Also, did you have any system images, recovery disks or manufacturer's recovery media from before the upgrade?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 1Bluemoose

1Bluemoose

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

I'd say it's stable enough. I haven't had *many* problems and it's quite nice from an aesthetics point of view. Defenitly do a clean install though, less problems.

#11 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:02 AM

I'm asking if people think Win 10 is stable enough to take the free upgrade.

A monthly poll would probably be best. The poll would pose the same question to see if more people think Win 10 is stable enough to take the free upgrade.

I've upgraded all our computers - 3 desktops, 2 laptops and one tablet.  No problems at all.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:34 AM

I have been using Windows 10 for over a year and it has been stable since the beginning. I upgraded the entire family's computers about 8 months ago, no problems with any of them.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:37 PM

For desktops it seems to go pretty smoothly and be stable.  However Murphy can always strike, so unless there's something in 10 that you want, I'd practice the "if it's not broken, don't fix it rule".  Windows 7 is supported 'till 2020 and 8.1 'till 2023.

Now for laptops I recommend against it because most of the parts are proprietary and people upgrading have often found devices that don't work, especially touchpads and WiFi adapters.

In any event check with your computer's manufacturer to be sure they provide Windows 10 drivers for your PC because the upgrade may not.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#14 dustyjay

dustyjay

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

I have found Win 10 to be extremely stable.  The only hitch I have discovered on any of my computers (1 Desk top Upgraded from Win 7 Pro, 1 laptop upgraded from Win 7 Pro, 2 Dell Laptops upgraded from Win 8.1 Home) is a problem on some Forum Sites when using the EDGE browser the Back button rarely works.  Other than that even on older hardware for me it has been flawless.

#15 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:08 AM

Just upgrade all ready. Its easy peasy. It pretty safe now to do so if you have not yet.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users