Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 has started randomly freezing in the last month

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kavb

kavb

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:23 PM

Hi all,

I have a desktop PC which is about 4 years old and I upgraded it to Windows 10 as soon as it was available (from retail version of Windows 7 home). I have had no problems since the upgrade until very recently. However in the last month or so, Windows has started freezing randomly after about 20-40 minutes use. There is no obvious pattern of use which triggers the freeze and it's rather odd. It's not a BSOD, it's just that it all becomes unresponsive and greyed out (the mouse cursor still moves). CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work, nor anything else other than holding down the power button until the PC switches off.

I'm no expert, so please let me know what the best way is to diagnose and fix what is going on. I have run the program memtest, as well as avast and malwarebytes, but they have all come up clean.

I suspect it has something to do with the windows updates installed around 6 March as I think it was fine before then. KB3139907, KB3140741 and/or KB3140743 specifically, which I can't uninstall from windows update. Does that seem plausible? And if so, how can I fix it?

Thanks for your help. Happy to provide any info which might be useful (I have attached the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip file in case it helps)

Attached Files

Edited by kavb, 28 March 2016 - 03:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:15 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 2001) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 8 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Beyond that, the only significant things I see about the system is it's age.  Older systems, especially those that were well-used before updating to W10, may experience problems due to outdated software that was installed prior to the update to W10.

So, the next thing to look at is this report.  Please generate it after you experience a significant freeze - that way the errors will be nearer to the beginning of the report (if any show up):

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kavb

kavb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for your reply. Attached is the event viewer info. Attached File  Admin.zip   137.1KB   1 downloads

I couldn't find any new Windows Updates manually. I'm pretty sure one of the latest (March) updates has triggered this problem, as that's around when the random freezing started happening (no problems before, having been on Windows 10 for quite a while).

Temperatures look ok - CPU 35C

Thanks again for your help.

#4 kavb

kavb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:53 PM

Attached File  Errors.jpg   119KB   0 downloads

The attached screenshot hopefully explains why I think the crashes are being caused by the latest update - you can see there were no crashes at all until March 6th, when a bunch of updates were installed, including KB3139907. Since then, it's crashed every time I've used it, without fail...

Sadly I can't uninstall KB3139907!

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

The Admin log file shows several events where a crash dump failed to become initialized.

Here's a draft description of how crash dumps are created:  http://www.carrona.org/dumpgen.html

From the time stamp of the error message, it seems that the crash dump is failing after the reboot (Phase 5)

This could be due to many different things.

But, let's see if we can fool it - and try generating a memory dump using Driver Verifier.

Please start by running Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

If it doesn't generate a crash in the usual amount of time that it takes the system to crash, then post back and we'll try different settings.

Once the system does crash, please do this:

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, check the date it was created, then zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it.

What I suspect is that it isn't the update that caused it - rather that there's an outdated driver that decided it wasn't able to work with the updates (and that's what's crashing the system).

If Driver Verifier can trick it into providing us a memory dump, we may be able to find the blame there (or at least some clues).

Worst case, if we can't find the cause:

- run hardware diagnostics

- backup your data

- wipe the hard drive and clean install Windows

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 kavb

kavb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for your reply and sorry it's taken a while to find time to do the above!

Following the instructions on that link, I turned on Driver Verifier and restarted the PC. It then gave a BSOD during boot (never got to Windows), so I had to enter Safe Mode and disable Driver Verifier. When I next logged in, I did't have a C:\Windows\Minidump folder, or a MEMORY.DMP file in the Windows folder.

However, the BSOD error given during boot was: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (aswVmm.sys)

I think that driver is related to my anti-virus (Avast) - should I try removing Avast and replacing with another AV program (Avira for example)?

Edited by kavb, 03 April 2016 - 04:25 PM.

#7 kavb

kavb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

Bump - would appreciate any further guidance. I haven't uninstalled Avast yet as I'm not sure that's the problem.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:27 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding.  For some reason I didn't see this earlier :(

Yes, please remove the Avast and see if that helps.

If not, then leave the Avast off and try Driver Verifier again - and see what driver it blames then.

Usually when it does not catch a memory dump, it's either that there's something broken in the chain that catches it (more info here:  http://www.carrona.org/dumpgen.html ) or it's happening too early for Windows to catch.

I tend to suspect that the Avast is loading early and that may be why it doesn't catch it.

#9 kavb

kavb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:48 AM

I uninstalled Avast and left the PC running for a bit. Unfortunately, exactly the same freezing/hanging reoccurred at the usual time (about 15-20 minutes into the windows session).

So I re-ran driver verifier as instructed and the same BSOD before windows had booted occurred, just after the windows logo first appears. Except this time the error message did not name a driver, it simply said DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION with nothing after it.

I then entered safe mode and disabled driver verifier. When I next logged in, I still didn't have a C:\Windows\Minidump folder, or a MEMORY.DMP file in the Windows folder! It's driving me mad!!!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:04 PM

Let's try looking at these reports.  The hope is that Driver Verifier caused the system to save some of the information - which may give us hints as to what's causing it.

The other option is to backup your stuff, wipe the hard drive, and "clean" install Windows (to rule out hardware and Windows problems).:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

#11 kavb

kavb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:38 AM

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Attached are the reports.

Attached Files

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:16 AM

From the Admin logfile - when the crash dump attempts to initialize (during the reboot after the crash), it fails.

Many different reasons for this - we'll look at several of them later on.

And, just prior to every crash is an error with your Bluetooth USB not being able to support Low Energy

I don't know what this is (and will have to research it), but it's pretty surely related to the crashes.

There's also a problem with the Avast SafeZone stuff just before the Bluetooth error.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 2001) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 8 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Interestingly, I note that you have Avira for your antivirus.  Any idea why Avast is spitting out errors for it's SZBrowser stuff in the Admin log?

Please uninstall anything to do with Avast

You also may want to uninstall all the Bluetooth software that you're using.

Beyond that, there's no specific errors related to the crashes, so we're left with SWAGing it (Scientific Wild A**ed Guess).

Let's start with removing the Avast and the Bluetooth stuff and see if that helps.

At one point it may be to your advantage to wipe and reinstall the OS.

With this in mind, you may wish to start backing up your stuff now.

Good luck!

#13 kavb

kavb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:31 PM

Ok, I updated the BIOS to the latest version on the ASUS website and checked again for any windows updates (nothing new). I also double-checked and there's nothing related to Avast left on the PC (maybe that was from a crash before I uninstalled it?)

I have disabled the bluetooth device, but don't have any software to uninstall. I think it's just the in-built bluetooth adapter on the motherboard.

After all this, the crash is still happening. I've attached the error reports from this latest crash to this post (from 11th April, at about 22:25 pm) in case that helps.

I have backed up my files but I'd really like to avoid wiping and having to reinstall and reconfigure it all if possible! But if that's where we end up, ok. I can try doing a fresh win10 install and if it still crashes, revert to win7 (I have a retail disk).

Attached Files

Edited by kavb, 11 April 2016 - 04:33 PM.

#14 kavb

kavb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:12 AM

Bump - anything else I should try?

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:25 AM

Sorry for the delay, I must've missed the notification of your last post.

Admin log from the 11th shows Avast stuff here:  : C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\SZBrowser\launcher.exe

Here's a guide on how to remove it:  http://techdows.com/2016/02/uninstall-or-remove-avast-safezone-browser.html

Once that's done, then (just as a hunch), please:

- download a fresh copy of the latest version of Avira

- uninstall the current copy of Avira from your system

- install the freshly downloaded copy

- monitor for further problems

Just FYI - I will keep suggesting things to try each time that you post back

I'll do this until I run out of "hunches", but at one point I'm going to reach the end of my abilities.  That's when I'll say it's time to wipe and reinstall - but it's your choice when/if to do that, so take your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users