Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my laptop unusable?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 3ricD

3ricD

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:18 PM

I used a program called dban to wipe my laptop as I planned on selling it. I figured it would still be functional but just not have any of my information (passwords, credit cards etc) but now I cannot start it back up. Is the cpu now destroyed completely or can I do something to make it usable again? (In case it is pertinent, I did not create a back up and don't have a copy of Windows 7)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:27 PM

DBAN totally wipes the internal hard-drive; consider it like "brand new" with nothing at all on it.  Sell it as is, let the new owner insert his/her own Windows install and go from there.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 3ricD

3ricD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:35 PM

So then the computer is fine, but windows must be reinstalled, correct? I wouldn't be cheating this guy by selling it to him the way it is?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:45 PM

Be up front with any/all potential buyers, you cleared the hard-drive, you have no OS to pass on [due to license restrictions].  Let the buyer put his/her own OS on it, who knows, perhaps Linux might be installed on it, or, how about IBM Red or Blue Unix?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 3ricD

3ricD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:05 PM

Are there any free OS's I could burn to a CD then reinstall? He already paid but is now upset because he had assumed an OS would be installed already.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

Linux OS is the only free OS I know about.  At this point, I do not know of any free Windows.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

If you use the method shown here you may still be able to download an iso of Windows 7. Your issue would be activation. Use the key on the sticker and do a phone activation. It may or may not work.

Be sure to pick the correct version of Windows 7, yours would probably be Windows 7 Home Premium. This will be shown on the COA sticker if the computer still has one. If there is no sticker then you will need to install a linux distro as RolandJS posted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 March 2016 - 11:21 AM.

#8 3ricD

3ricD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

I actually did something similar to this! I had to go to work while it was installing but things look promising thus far. Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users