Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do we really need all these anti programs.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 diggiedo

diggiedo

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

Just was wondering if we really need all these anti programs i mean by the time you buy all these anti ransomeware anti virus anti malware anti spyware an on an on that would be a great deal of money every year.just a ???

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

You only need one of each:  anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware, anti-exploit, anti-ransom.  Be aware that some programs combine spyware and malware fighting under one roof.  With Internet Suites, one often gets all four under one roof.

addendum:  added one previously forgotten item

Edited by RolandJS, 28 March 2016 - 03:43 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:42 PM

For the best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware infection, see my comments (Post #6) in this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:53 PM

Here's what I run - paid AVG (yes, I know, but antivirus and firewall only), paid Malwarebytes anti malware, free Malwarebytes anti exploit, free Winpatrol. I run Chrome with Adblock+, and I have removed Java, Flash (except for the version in Chrome), and Adobe reader. I back up to a removable hard drive reasonably often.

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:43 AM

Too Many is not the issue , but basically you have to use what suits your system etc.

If you think the more you have the better , you are wrong , this will just cause problems anyway.

So how far do you go in what you need ?...Depends if you know what you are doing on the Web , opening Attachments etc etc.

I havent been hit by anything in at least 8 yrs and always assume the worst can happen at anytime , yet if it does it would be my fault anyway.

So be vigilant on installing Programs , Web Browsing , Emails etc , and if in doubt - dont do it.

Always highlight a Link and check to see where it is going to take you , and the extension type.

I only run Avast Antivirus / Windows Firewall / Adblocker and all are free , have never paid for any extra protection.

And lastly Backup Images , that will always save you if need be in the event you did something wrong.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:28 AM

Not really, sure anti virus is nice to have and I run avast in my windows 10 partition but its mainly there as a aid in the small chance I do get infected.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:20 AM

As you can tell from these replies, you will get different opinions from various users. Everyone's systems is different and what works for one person's system may not work for yours. However, you do need a comprehensive approach. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.

Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

#8 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:07 AM

Your internet browsing habits are you best defense.  If you one of those who clicks on every ad in Facebook for instance, you're going to pick up something.  If you visit questionable websites, you're going to pick up something.  Certain types of websites (I don't think I need to elaborate) are famous for viruses.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:12 AM

"Your internet browsing habits are you best defense..."  jfruch1    +1!  :)

And, having Adblocker Plus, or uOrigin, and NoScript for Firefox helps a lot.  I think Adblocker and uOrigin are available for Chrome also.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:45 PM

The name is µBlock Origin.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

The user is the first and last line of defense.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:09 AM

The name is µBlock Origin.

Thanks Agouti!  I was at school, and distractions abound  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users