Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials VS Free Edtion Avg,Malwarebytes,SuperAntispyware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Notebook Security Poll (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Which security would you prefer on your notebook?

1. Microsoft Security Essentials (5 votes [55.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. Free editions of AVG, Malwarebytes, and SUPERAntivirus (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Satman858

Satman858

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

I just bought a Laptop from a Fleabay seller and Microsoft Security Essentials was installed on it by way of the Windows 7 operating system.

Do you guys recommend that I remove the Microsoft Security Essentials and install Free Editions of Avg, Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, or do you feel that this Microsoft Security Essentials is all I need?

Feel free to post comments on how you voted and why I voted the way you did.

Edit: Moved topic from General Security to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Satman858

Satman858
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

I had no idea where to put this post. Thanks for the move Animal. :thumbup2:

Edited by Satman858, 28 March 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,263 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

You have a very good firewall, Windows Firewall, so that question is settled.  Windows 7 has both Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials.  I've had a few local techs tell me that is all they use.  I think free versions, the ones you mentioned in your poll, are somewhat stronger and a better defense than MSE.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:44 PM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. More recently (September 2015), is was reported that AVG privacy policy update allows it to sell your browsing history...meaning AVG allows the collection and sale of personal information relating to browsing history, searches, location and meta-data and sharing that data with affiliated partners, search providers and resellers.

There have been reports of AVG exposing and collecting personal data.There have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools.There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and AVG PC TuneUp which purport to fix registry errors and various optimizing tweaks which make changes to system settings.

There have been complaints of AVG Secure Search and AVG Security Toolbar repeatedly being reinstalled after AVG updates inself even though users intentionally choose to remove them.

And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware have exploit and behavior blocking features. Emsisoft uses advanced behavior blocking analysis to continually monitor the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity.Emsisoft has the ability to detect unknown zero-day attacks and file-encrypting malware (ransomware) attacks. ESET Antivirus and Smart Security uses Exploit Blocker which is designed to fortify applications that are often exploited. ESET monitors the behavior of processes, looks for and blocks suspicious activities that are typical for exploits including. ESET's Java Exploit Blocker looks for and blocks attempts to exploit vulnerabilities in Java.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

For other alternatives, please read...Choosing an Anti-Virus Program. Keep in mind that all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Windows 8/10 Defender.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,263 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:49 PM

Looking back, Quietman7 is definitely correct, find another anti-virus/SwissArmyKnife other than AVG, it has changed greatly since my earlier days of Windows for Workgroup 3.11, Windows 95 & 98SE.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users