Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Green Gaming PC, Possible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ry12

ry12

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:42 AM

Hello everyone,

This is a subject I have absolutely no clue about since I usually play games on consoles.

Recently I've been having trouble with my PS3 so I thought whether or not I should invest in another one or buy a PS4.

However I have an Asus tower which basically doesn't work and instead of throwing it away I thought maybe I could turn it into a gaming tower, without the need for buying new consoles, without the need to pay for online gaming, and with the fun of mods and easy game recording.

Now I have no experience with building a gaming computer, I would love to have games like GTAV and possibly newer ones as also old ones play smoothly on it, maybe recording gameplay too. I'm sure there are many guides out there but what I really want to ask is, can you build a strong pc that consumes a little?

Of course computers compared to consoles have more things to run but the PS4 consumes maybe around 150watts while normally gaming towers consume up to 250 to crazy 800watts?!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 28 March 2016 - 06:10 PM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to System Building and upgrading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:11 AM

Well show us your Asus tower model and we could tell you where to go from there.

Probably best thing to do is make it a middle end gaming rig, plus parts can be chosen that would be fairly energy effcient.

Probably best to do a intel build, also PSU's only use as much power as needed so even a 1000W PSU doesnt use all of it.

its more of a max capacity thing

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 March 2016 - 12:13 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

The 800W you saw was probably a PSU rating. I doubt my PC pulls 600W under typical load, and it is inefficient as you can get (high-speed fans, 32W pump for the cooling system, AMD Components). Definitely go with an Intel CPU for efficiency. If you get a dedicated graphics card, you should go with a low-mid end NVidia GPU like the GTX 750 or GTX 950. Or if you would like AMD parts, wait till their next generation comes out. The new GPUs are supposed to pull way less power than previous models.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

Building a PC can be 'green' or not, the most important variables are your

1. screen resolution and

2. desired frames per second and

3. image quality of the desired game/s you wish to play.

e.g. in a demanding game like Crysis 3 @ 1080p resolution, Very high textures, Anti aliasing 4x(8x is max)

I need 2x r9 290x and FX 8350 overclocked to 4.6ghz to keep reasonably high frame rates. My 750w psu is not enough to handle this load since its a few years old. So I have added my 550w psu to complement it.

WRT to GTA V look at this bench from TPU , assuming you are also using a 1080 screen then an r9 390 is a good buy, since it pushes a avg of 60fps

but it needs a good 600w power supply, honestly I think you could get way with a good 500-550w unit

One reason the AMD cards in general were less efficient is they were built with more compute units than Nvidia counterparts,

but the new API, DX12, is designed with utilizing these compute units in mind, so AMD efficiency should improve in dx12 titles that use this feature

Another option is to go for an R9 fury nano which will allow you to use a 400w psu depending on other equipment, but its more 'spensive

finally you could wait a while to see what new cards are coming out since they should be more efficient than the current breed

The gaming consoles are more efficient than PC cos they are based off one "architecture" so its easier for programmers write to code, that's close to metal and extract a lot of performance. In PC ecosystem everyone has a different configuration so its more difficult to code for, with all the variables, so code is not as efficient. With PC, brute power is needed and a lot of it goes to waste which is why I need 1300w in my system and PS3 doesn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users