Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Create Rescue Disk Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Federer Express

Federer Express

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

Hello everyone. Today, I uninstalled the Computer Associates' Protecton package that included Anti-Spy and Anti-Virus. The package came for free from being a customer of SBC Yahoo! DSL.

Then I installed AVG Free Edition and in the process of installation, it recommended that I create a "Rescue Disk" file in case something happens. Well, so I tried creating one, in the C:/Program Files/Grisoft file, but it said the task couldn't be done.

I should also mention that my C: Drive is NTFS and AVG mentioned that it was likely that Rescue Disk couldn't be created in NTFS format.

It would be great if someone can lend some insight into this matter. I thank you in advance.

Peter.

Edited by Federer Express, 02 August 2006 - 06:23 PM.

What the Bleep are you talking about? Are you Bleepin' kidding me?
You think this is Bleepin' funny?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 joe cohen

joe cohen

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:20 AM

Maybe you should try to create the rescue disk on a floppy. Having the rescue disk on drive C: is useless if something goes wrong and you can't access drive C: later.

#3 Federer Express

Federer Express
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, joe cohen, but the thing is ... I'm using AVG on a laptop. Thus, I do not have anywhere to insert a floppy disk.

I think my Windows has been internally broken a little bit. I don't get IE Error Messages and even though, it is malware-free, perhaps something has been badly affected when I did have some malware on my system.

I installed AVG on my desktop after I did it on my laptop, and guess what. It successfully created a Rescue Disk file on C: Drive. As useless as it might be on there, it tells me that something's wrong with my laptop. Oh yes, the C: Drive on my desktop is NTFS as well.

God, I desperately need some help. Anyone out there? Thanks to those in advance.

Peter.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:55 PM

Do you have a flash drive AKA massive storage device that plugs into a USB port? You could use it to create your back-up. In fact, I think I remember doing just that when I had AVG for a while.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Federer Express

Federer Express
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Orange.

Right now, I'm more concerned about my laptop's inability to create a Rescue Disk. Both my hard drives on my desktop and laptop are NTFS format, but only my desktop is able to create a Rescue Disk on its hard drive.

Very strange.. Going to ask the helpers on the AVG Forum, as well. Once again, thanks for your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users