Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aka rotten

aka rotten

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:52 AM

I have avg.free version on one pc that I have and been getting warnings that trial expires in 5 days.i,ve never had full  coverage run the free  version for few years,

Not seen this before.What do I need to do in order not to lapse coverage.Or do I let it run out and reinstall.ThanksPaul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:18 AM

I suspect that this an attempt by AVG to install more adware. But see the info in link below.

You should run AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool after reinstalling the free version. Look for

other crappy programs installed by AVG in your lists of installed programs.

Remove AVG trial message and continue with free prot... | AVG

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. More recently (September 2015), is was reported that AVG privacy policy update allows it to sell your browsing history...meaning AVG allows the collection and sale of personal information relating to browsing history, searches, location and meta-data and sharing that data with affiliated partners, search providers and resellers.

There have been reports of AVG exposing and collecting personal data.There have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools.There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and AVG PC TuneUp which purport to fix registry errors and various optimizing tweaks which make changes to system settings.

There have been complaints of AVG Secure Search and AVG Security Toolbar repeatedly being reinstalled after AVG updates inself even though users intentionally choose to remove them.

And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 aka rotten

aka rotten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for responses. I have 3 total pc,s in same household, two in house, one in shop all under same e mail address .Other two use Avast, Should I use same on all three? I also do CC cleaner on all of them. Thanks again, i,ll be deleting AVG and be adding Avast if you recommend it.Paul

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:15 AM

There is no need to use the same anti-virus on all your machines. avast is fine but they too having been adding more bloat which is why I suggested Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender.

#6 aka rotten

aka rotten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

Have one last question in this topic. To get rid of AVG. can I simply go to control panel and click on delete ?As you see I,m not pc savy. AVG. supposed to run out today so I need to do something.Paul

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

AVG | Download tools and utilities

QUOTE from link above: AVG Remover eliminates all the parts of your AVG installation from your computer, including registry items, installation files, user files, etc. AVG Remover is the last option to be used in case the AVG uninstall / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.

AVG Remover
(AVG_Remover.exe)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:22 PM

The correct way to remove AVG is by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel, reboot when done, and then run the AVG Remover tool noted above by buddy215.

#9 aka rotten

aka rotten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:21 PM

Thank you  quietman7 and others for your help.All seemed to go well with no problems.Ichose Bitdefender which went well.only thing I noticed was it will need redoing every 30 day appearently.The pc I,m on now in my shop still has AVG. on it and I believe I,ll go all 3 pc to Bit defender.THANKS AGAIN,Paul

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:50 PM

Bitdefender is a good replacement choice.

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users