Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protect shared folders from anyone but me

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 niklas1981

niklas1981

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:34 AM

Hello ,it is going to be a long post and sorry for that .I want to do , two things on my laptop to be protected and if you can help me i will appreciate it , cause you have prove your selves to be the best and thank you for all your previous support .

1) I want to protect my picture-videos folder on the library .The reason is i am using some software which when i start it ,it auto synchronize and uploads my pictures on adobe id account etc.I manually disable this function but i do not want to be uploaded in the future by another program .Generally do not want in any case to share my folders in library with other persons or pc's . I want that folders to be synchronized with programs i have installed on my laptop but not to be shared on internet or local connection pc's .One solution i thought is simple delete from there and put them manually somewhere else .This is temporarily cause when i will import new photos-videos from devices they will be auto putted there again and i will have to do the procedure from the beginning.I went on microsoft and saw that this can not happen .I hope they are wrong .

2) The second thing i want to do and i will try to explain it as much as i can is to make the download folder "quarantined". What i mean is when i download a file the default location folder is C:\Users\Nikos\Downloads .In case i download something with a virus or malware i would like this file not to have access on my system .If this can happen (maybe i am being silly) it would be good for my secondary hard partition too where i store programs .

PS:I use Toshiba satellite a300d and running windows 7- 64bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:35 PM

1) sharing must be disabled through all applications that have access to the folder, individually. There is no way I know of to block an app from uploading files from a folder you/it have access to.

2) Have you heard of Virtual Machines? It's a bit complicated, but you can use a virutal machine to test programs you aren't sure about and it won't have access to anything you don't want it to - in fact, newer antiviruses use this technique to analyze viruses they haven't detected before. It's called Heuristic Analysis. Another option is an "anti-executable" software that basically prevents anything that you do not specifically allow to run from running, if you are worried that you might accidentally start a program that you thought was a file...
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users