Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interesting Acer BIOS...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pheno^

Pheno^

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:58 AM

I'm fixing an Acer-603-UR15 micro machine for my cousin.  It came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 and a recovery partition (instead of recovery CDs).
It got infected with an ungodly amount of malware and now the OS and recovery partition are no longer bootable.
The weird thing is, is that the BIOS version that was on it (an older one) only allows me to boot from the hard drive (which of course is now unbootable).
It seems the only way I can boot anything from the CD/DVD or USB is if I update the BIOS version, but there's the problem, I can't boot from anything to upgrade it!

Has anyone come across this before?  Am I missing something?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

It came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 and a recovery partition (instead of recovery CDs).

AFAIK, manufacturers have stopped supplying CDs for at least at least 5 or 6 years.

The weird thing is, is that the BIOS version that was on it (an older one) only allows me to boot from the hard drive (which of course is now unbootable).
It seems the only way I can boot anything from the CD/DVD or USB is if I update the BIOS version...

How do you know this?  Did you insert a bootable disc or USB drive before going into the BIOS to change the boot order?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

With the optical drive's tray empty and all USB devices except for the mouse and keyboard removed follow the instructions below to change the boot order.

You will want to make the optical drive the first device in the boot order, and the hdd/ssd the second device in the boot order.

1.  Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the DEL key to enter the BIOS.

2.  Press the RIGHT ARROW key to select Boot.

3.  Press the DOWN ARROW key to select Boot Order.

4.  Use the F5 or F6 key to change the order.

5.  Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Pheno^

Pheno^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

I probably should have mentioned that I'm an advanced user.

I can change the boot order and boot from anything.  The problem is that the BIOS will not let anything run from external devices.  For example, if I boot from a Windows 7 install disc, everything seems to work fine until it reaches the black Windows logo screen, where it freezes up.  I did a little research into the issue and the problem seems to be that the "Launch CSM" option isn't in the older versions of the Acer BIOS.  The only way to update the BIOS (as far as I can tell) is to launch the update program while Windows is running.  But as I said earlier, the operating system and recovery partition are completely destroyed from malware.

Edit: Here's the BIOS update information where you can explicitly see that they eventually added support for the "Launch CSM" option:IV18WGQ.png     

Edited by Pheno^, 28 March 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

Looks like it's time to use the system recovery partition.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Pheno^

Pheno^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:31 PM

That's what I've been trying to tell you, the recovery partition is damaged and unbootable, lol.  :lol:

Edited by Pheno^, 28 March 2016 - 09:36 PM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:42 AM

What file system was on any USB devices you tried? UEFI cannot boot from an NTFS volume, i.e. a flash drive needs to be FAT32.

It's not a situation I've had to deal with, and someone who has done so might come by and correct me, but I suspect the simplest way around the dilemma may be to install Windows 10.

Without a CSM, (unless you can borrow an installation flash drive already set up) I think you might be best to obtain the Windows 10 ISO and use Rufus to load it to a flash drive, with the Partition Scheme and target system type option set to GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer. File system will default to the necessary FAT32.

That should let you install Win10, and you could then update the BIOS, and see about reverting if you really wanted to.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Pheno^

Pheno^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

Thanks Platypus.  I'll have to try this out.  I'll post my results when I get to fiddle around with the machine more.

#9 Pheno^

Pheno^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:38 AM

It worked!  And the cool thing is, my cousin won't have to worry about a Windows activation key because it authenticated itself via hardware.  Neat!

Thanks again everyone!  :thumbup2:

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:28 AM

Good result! Thanks for letting us know how it went.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users