Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freezing Windows 10 (No BSOD) (No dump files)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sjaforbes

sjaforbes

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:27 AM

Hey guys , Im having a problem with my PC and would really appreciate any help at all. This is my first time posting on a forum so i apologize  if i don't provide enough information or something along those lines   :blush:

The problem

My computer will randomly freeze and the only thing i can do is hard reset it, I get no BSOD and i get no dump files and yes i have correctly set up the dump files and tested that i get them with whocrashed :P

What i have tried

I have been trying to fix this for the last 3 days and i have tried alot of things but these are the main ones i can remember

-Updated all of my drivers 

-Memory test 

-Replacing the hard drive 

-Taking out the GPU and using integrated graphics

-Disabling integrated graphics in BIOS Settings

- Restoring default BIOS settings 

- Checking event viewer

-Reinstalled Windows 10 countless times

-Scanned for viruses

-Stress tested all the hardware ( Didn't freeze during stress test )

-Putting CPU back to stock speeds

-Fixing registry files 

My spec's

Attached File  Capture.PNG   21.38KB   0 downloads

Once again any help is really appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sjaforbes

sjaforbes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:00 AM

Hey everyone sorry i missed the posting instructions whoops! Here are the files 

Attached File  perfmon.zip   161.08KB   2 downloads

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   290.52KB   2 downloads

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? -Windows 10
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
· What was original installed OS on system? Windows 10
· Is the OS an OEM version or full retail version ? Retail Verison
· Age of system 6 months
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Yes

· CPU  Included in speccy screenshot
· Video Card  Included in speccy screenshot
· MotherBoard - Included in speccy screenshot
· Power Supply - brand & wattage  FSP Hexa Series 500w
· Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:22 AM

Your CPU is running (in the Speccy screenshot) at 74ºC.  This is too hot for a desktop CPU, and I have to wonder how hot it gets under stress.

I would first check the cooling solution for your CPU to ensure that:

- there is adequate (but not excessive) thermal compound between the CPU and the cooler.

- that the cooler is free of dirt/dust/hairballs/etc and that there is free airflow through it

- that the fan on the cooler is free to turn, is working, and is blowing cool air into the cooler.

- that there is access for cool air into the cooler fan (no other items blowing hot air into the cooler fan).

The perfmon report shows a problem with the graphics card:

Error   Symptom:
Device cannot find enough free resources to use. Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly. Details: The device, AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr12". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is VideoController1. Resolution: 1. Verify the correct driver is installed.   2. Try updating the drivers using Windows Update.   3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.   4. Attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager. Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager   Manage Devices in Windows Symptom:
Device cannot find enough free resources to use. Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly. Details: The device, AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr12". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is PCI\VEN_1002-DEV_1315-SUBSYS_13151849-REV_00\3-267A616A-0-08. Resolution: 1. Verify the correct driver is installed.   2. Try updating the drivers using Windows Update.   3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.   4. Attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager. Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager   Manage Devices in Windows

Here is the Device Manager error for the video card (from the MSINFO32 report):

AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_1315&SUBSYS_13151849&REV_00\3&267A616A&0&08    This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use.

I would suggest:

1)  uninstalling the AMD/ATI video drivers,

2)  if that doesn't work then try a RESET of the system using the Keep My Files option.

3)  if that doesn't work then try a RESET of the system using the Remove Everything option.

From a search of the web, it seems that the most reliable "fix" for this sort of problem is a wipe and reinstall of Windows.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P1.60) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a recent update.

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 sjaforbes

sjaforbes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:09 AM

Hey thanks for your reply

I did a reset of windows and removed everything i then did a windows update and uninstalled my GPU drivers and reinstalled the latest ones , but the same thing happens. I should mention that my CPU is actually an APU but the integrated  graphics are disabled. 

Thanks

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

I'd say that this points to a hardware problem.

There aren't a whole bunch of hardware diagnostics, but here's what I suggest:

- run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

- then, if all passes, start trying the things that you can from this page:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 sjaforbes

sjaforbes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:21 AM

I originally thought it was hardware problem to but, 
- Did a windows memory test
- Swapped out the Hard drive
-Did a prime95 cpu test
- did a furmark gpu stress test 
and it all came back fine so this makes me think its not a hardware issue . It should aslo be noted that these freezes dont happen for a few hour's
when i do a clean install of windows

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:03 AM

Have you run the diagnostics that I suggested?

If so, what were the results?

I don't like the Windows Memory Diagnostic as (IMO) I don't feel it's a thorough test.  IMO Memtest86+/Memtest86 is much more reliable.

Did you run a hard drive test?  The hard drive tests (in particular the Seagate and Western Digital tests) also test the controller and cables.

Did you scan for malware?

Did you run the other video tests?

DId you run the CPU stress tests (other than Prime95)?

Once all of them were done, did you work with the procedure here:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

FYI - Prime 95's Blend test primarily stresses the RAM - so it's not stressing the CPU very much.

If you wish to stress the CPU, you'll have to run the Small FFT's and Large FFT's tests

If you're sure that this is not a hardware issue, then I'd have to ask why it returns after a clean install of Windows?

There's only 2 things that can be wrong with a computer - hardware or software.

For the sake of convenience, we divide the software into Windows and 3rd party (as 3rd party software causes more than 90% of software problems.

So, if you install Windows "clean" (without 3rd party stuff) from good installation media and you still have problems - that leaves hardware as the reason.

My hunch here is that the elevated CPU temps that you initially presented with are significant.

And that, if you monitor them, you may find that the temperature is rising higher during times that you are stressing the system.

This, in turn, could be causing the system to crash.

Edited by usasma, 05 April 2016 - 06:03 AM.

#8 sjaforbes

sjaforbes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:22 PM

I did a memtest86 test, it passed. I didn't see the point in scanning for malware after doing lots of clean installs , I didn't bother doing a hard drive test as i just swapped it out for another one .What i will try is more cpu stress testing as i think you could be right about the cpu but i don't think the crashing has anything to do with the temps because 

- It will crash randomly even just as I'm logging onto windows (to soon for temps to raise)

- I have had these temps for a while

- If it was overheating wouldn't it tell me that on my next boot or be in a dump file and not just hard hang ?

Is it possible that these high temps have ruined my cpu and is there a way to test that out or is just stress tests i can do ?

Thanks

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:19 AM

Although not likely in your case, a CPU can overheat while booting (it's an extreme case)

Testing involves the stress tests and the manufacturer's diagnostics (if there are any for that manufacturer).

As for malware, there's lot's of malware that can survive a reinstall of Windows.

Again, it's not likely that it's malware (as you swapped hard drives), but it is possible (for example, the same malware could be on both HDD's - or the malware could be on the installation media).

My point here is that if it was something simple, you'd have fixed it already - so it's time to look at the less likely scenarios.

A reboot due to high temperatures usually leaves no evidence - and the system can just hang if it's not severely overheating (again, leaving no evidence)
And all that we see is an occasional rise in temps - but never get the high temps because the system crashes/freezes and doesn't record them.

Depending on the software installed on the system (in particular, the Intel DPT Framework) you may have some further clues

#10 sjaforbes

sjaforbes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

Okay so i think were getting somewhere

Last night i did a small FFT test for about 6 hours came back no errors

I then did a large FFT test for another 6 hours and also came back no errors

It should be noted that during these 12 hours the PC didnt hang. 

I am now pretty sure but not a 100% , that these hangs happen when the reset button on my case is flashing. Im in a rush so i cant research what that means exactly but it more or less means the HDD is reading/writing e.g Opening a program .Doing something along those lines but this confuses me because i have already swapped hard drives ? 

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

There's only 2 possible problems with your computer - hardware or software.

If it's hardware, it's just a matter of trying to narrow it down to the broken component and then replace it to see if that fixes it.

If it's software, we generally divide it into one of 2 things - 3rd party software and Windows software.

If it's Windows software, there's limited things that we can do (and, luckily, it's not often due to Windows software)

If it's 3rd party software, then we have to narrow it down to the component that's causing the problem.

It's not unusual for the hard drive light to be flashing or even steady when the system freezes.

The task is to find out why it's flashing so much - as that has a good chance of being related to your freezes/hangs.

Open up Task Manager, go to the Performance tab and open Resource Monitor.

Then open up the Disk category and see what's taking up the most Reads/Writes/Total

#12 sjaforbes

sjaforbes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:42 AM

Okay so ive taken out my wifi card and there is no hangs at all

Do you think this software (like drivers ) or the wifi card is just broken ?

Thanks

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:13 AM

Presuming that the wifi card is the problem, the next test is to put it back in and see if it hangs again.

If it does, then uninstall the wifi drivers and software

Then download and install a fresh copy of the wifi drivers and software

If the problem continues then, it's usually safe to assume that the wifi card is bad.

Wifi cards are fairly inexpensive, but try to find a shop that will return your money if it's not needed - just in case.

#14 sjaforbes

sjaforbes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:18 AM

Hey good news, Ive fixed it! 

After a few days of using my computer the hangs have completely gone the problem was a driver issue with windows 10, I am not 100% but from reading around other fourms windows has a wifi driver it uses instead of your real one and that was causing the problems.

What i did to fix it was disable driver signature enforcement, which you can learn how to do below 

http://club.myce.com/f189/how-disable-driver-signature-enforcement-command-line-338073/

After that i just Manually installed my drivers ,which you can learn how to do below 

Thank you to Usasma for his excellent help and time it is very much appreciated 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users