Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Idle Crashes to Please Select Proper Boot Device screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dpatrick

dpatrick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:18 AM

I recently built my first PC (specs at the bottom) and everything worked fine. However, I noticed that my PC would crash randomly to a black screen asking to select proper boot device or insert media drive (something to that sort). After browsing online and asking around, I was directed that my HDD was failing and to get a replacement. I had plenty of time to return it to Newegg so while that was out, I bought a small 64GB SSD during which I never ran into any problems. A couple days ago I got my HDD replacement, connected it back in and restarted my PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 on my HDD while the SSD would be used for programs. Once again, my PC started to crash though this time only when it idled. I've since put the HDD in a new Sata Port but still no luck, I get the crash after leaving the PC idling. I've read that preventing the HDD from hibernating or sleeping may fix this and I've set the HDD to do just that but I have yet to test it out fully. 

I've tried to run tests with SeaTools for Windows and CrystalDisk and everything came back good. So I'm generally confused as to what may be causing this. Did I get another failing HDD from Newegg, is there something else I should check? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD X4 860K

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H

Memory: Team Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333

Storage Main: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Storage Secondary: Kingspec 64GB SSD

Video Card: EVGA GTX 950 2GB SC+

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:11 AM

I'm late for work, but try this in the meantime:

- update BIOS

- update Windows

- update all 3rd party programs and devices installed on the system

Try Startup Repair to see if it fixes/attempts to fix the BCD (Boot Configuration Database)

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location. (By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop)
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dpatrick

dpatrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:38 PM

I'm late for work, but try this in the meantime:

- update BIOS

- update Windows

- update all 3rd party programs and devices installed on the system

Try Startup Repair to see if it fixes/attempts to fix the BCD (Boot Configuration Database)

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location. (By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop)
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Hey thanks for the tips. I just wanted to reach out and say that I think preventing my HDD from hibernating or sleeping did the trick. I have tested it for a few hours and had no crashes so if anyone stumbles upon this and are having the same issues then give that a try as it worked for me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users