Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on Win 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bjk360

bjk360

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:55 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a Toshiba laptop that I had let upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10, through the MS update. After trying it out for a few weeks I have decided it is not for me. Several problems popped up such as Wifi capability vanishing into thin air.. just nothing there all of a sudden one day, plus all the invasive practices MS is participating in that I have read about over the net... just don't feel comfortable using it to be honest, I didn't like 8 at all in the least. So here is what I have decided to do. If this sounds like a good idea, please let me know. If this seems like a bad idea, also would appreciate any input.

Rather than trying to install Win 7, over the current system.. wiping the HD and starting again, etc., I have decided to have the current HD removed, replacing it with a 500 GB SSD HD, and then installing Win 7 on that. Current HD is not SSD.

Question I also have is:

If I go ahead and do the HD install, and then get Win 7 installed, will win7 update to 10 on its own, as I have read about in the news, or is it not a big deal to be able to stop the win 10 upgrade? With a new install of win 7, I suspect there will be a large amount of upgrades and I'm not sure how to go about deciphering which upgrade does what and which one is the one (or ones) that will automatically start the win 10 upgrade.

Any feedback is definitely appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Seranok_*

Guest_Seranok_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:25 AM

I heard win 10 is nice, dont know if 5 year old computer supports that but my 3 year old dell certainly doesnt.

Anyway Windows 10 is just a opt-in. It wont automatically force install(I believe). I certainly see you are not a material design fan.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

Since your computer came with Window 8 pre-installed, you should first go to the Toshiba support page and ensure you can get Windows 7 drivers.  Once Windows 7 drivers are available, I see no reason why you won't be able to install Windows 7 on a SSD if you have a valid Windows 7 key and install disc.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:15 PM

I switched my HDD to a 500gig SSD, formatted and install Windows 7 Ultimate on it. Then installed my Asrock mainboard drivers. No problem. I think you are fine.  As Agouti said above, make double-sure that you have all the Windows 7 drivers for that mainboard.

W10 upgrade: the only time you are vulnerable to an auto upgrade is if you either: have auto-installation for updates enabled, or you ok the update that upgrades you to Windows 10. There are two updates that are the trigger for Windows 10, I don't remember them but just web-search it and you will find a ton of information, much of it from irritated users!

Edited by ranchhand_, 28 March 2016 - 05:24 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 bjk360

bjk360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:28 AM

Thank you all for the feedback! I discovered through the Toshiba forums that this particular model is not supported by Toshiba for a win 10 upgrade. Glad this was done on my spare laptop ... now I can proceed with getting a new HD installed and go back to win 7!

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

I discovered through the Toshiba forums that this particular model is not supported by Toshiba for a win 10 upgrade.

Toshiba may not support Windows 10 for your laptop but that doesn't mean it prevents you from getting the offer to upgrade.  The offer is coming from Microsoft, not Toshiba.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users