Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to stop most & how to rid Microsoft egg-laying on your W 7 & 8

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

How to stop most & how to rid Microsoft egg-laying on your W 7 & 8.
Microsoft gave me an egg Easter weekend & Monday morning. Wifey powered up bedroom laptop and found Windows 7 not genuine. When I returned, I ran certain batchfiles [from The 'Net], they fixed the problem. [see signature].

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 March 2016 - 03:18 PM.
edited per request by Roland

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:05 PM

Wow. Thanks RolandJS

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:36 PM

Why do you suggest installing those first two?

P.S. regarding wuauserv, the best setting is surely the "manual(trigger start)" setting, this is the one which shows on computers where updates are set to check but not download.

Edited by rp88, 29 March 2016 - 06:36 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

Why do you suggest installing those first two?  ...regarding wuauserv, the best setting is surely the "manual(trigger start)" setting, this is the one which shows on computers where updates are set to check but not download.

Installing the first two came from another poster in some other thread, in some other board [I think], recommending those two.  If you believe that is redundant, let me know, I can remove those two lines.  I like removing un-needed stuff.

Some are reporting that Windows 10 was able, because of end-user inaction [to a couple of MS "soft prompts"], to download, and then install.  Since I cannot duplicate their experience, and since even I had a few KBs [**] download/install "behind my back," I decided that merely setting wuauserv to notify/let me decide whether to dnld & install -- wasn't enough.

[**] One or more of those sneaky KBs caused one laptop's Windows 7 Pro to be nonGenuine.  After taking my own medicine as given in the starter post, Windows 7 Pro become genuine again.

And a second laptop, the next day or so, began with the "configuring Windows" at coldpost/boot, did not even proceed to Go and collect $200, simply booted into safe mode, ran the mess given in start thread, and lo & behold -- no more "configuring Windows" at boot or shutdown. 

Edited by RolandJS, 29 March 2016 - 07:47 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:27 PM

If you have the product key, you can always re-enter it again. Probably easier than uninstalling windows updates.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

If you have the product key, you can always re-enter it again. Probably easier than uninstalling windows updates.   xXToffeeXx~

Hmmm, I never thought to try that; next time, I'll give that a try, and report back.  Thanks for the idea!   :)

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:42 PM

If you have the product key, you can always re-enter it again. Probably easier than uninstalling windows updates.

xXToffeeXx~

And if you don't have it, simply grab it using ProduKey from NirSoft, re-enter it and ta-da! :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

Opening thread altered, greatly reduced in content & size   :)

Edited by Queen-Evie, Today, 03:18 PM. 
edited per request by Roland

Thanks! Perfect!    :)

Edited by RolandJS, 31 March 2016 - 12:08 AM.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

You're welcome.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

Sorry, what happened to the batch script you had in the first post? I can see it's been edited out but am not sure why.

Post7, There is also belarc adviser which gives the product key amongst a whole load of other statistics. I used it once a few years back so I could note down the product key for windows on one of my machines.

Post4, I haven't yet heard of a KB causing systems to register as non-genuine. Can you give more info on how this happened.

Post4, as yet I've been able to completely prevent any KB updates installing behind my back or any other sneaky downloads. I have done this by rejecting: every update to windows update, every GWX related update, every telemetry related update and every update which wasn't a security fix or a fix for a bug I suffered, since about March 2015. Once things slipped through on one laptop when I upgraded from 8 to 8.1, but I wiped them away by first uninstalling the KB3035583 (and other updates) which got through then annhilating every gwx.exe and other gwx related file I could find on my system. It's worked well so far. I suggest you look back at your update history, make sure no non-security/non-bug-fix updates have been installed since about february 2015. If since about that time you have had no non-security/non-bug-fix updates and have kept windows update on the notify only setting you shouldn't in theory have any problems other than the need to be careful what you tick when you do perform update installations. One way things might slip through is if you are ticking and installing "optional list" updates without first making sure that the "important list" is blank (everything wanted on it already installed, everything unwanted on it hidden).

"And a second laptop, the next day or so, began with the "configuring Windows" at coldpost/boot, did not even proceed to Go and collect $200, simply booted into safe mode, ran the mess given in start thread, and lo & behold -- no more "configuring Windows" at boot or shutdown."
Are you saying that your batch script managed to save a computer which was already trying to install windows 10? Or am I misreading you? Did you just go straight to "advanced startup" and then through to "safe mode with command prompt", run the script, restart and find everything to be ok again? Or were you trying to say something else in this quote?

P.S. Is the below of any use to you, it talks about another unwelcome KB, but this nasty KB is for windows 7 only, not 8/8.1. It might be of relevance to you, if you have it removal my help you.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/17/microsoft_windows_10_upgrade_gwx_vs_humanity/

Edited by rp88, 01 April 2016 - 12:57 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

Sorry, what happened to the batch script you had in the first post? I can see it's been edited out but am not sure why...

I had the contents removed so that only one place now has the batchfiles [see signature] -- 'cause I'm always adding new material from The 'Net, including from this board  :)  :)

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

Post4, I haven't yet heard of a KB causing systems to register as non-genuine. Can you give more info on how this happened.
I cannot prove if and which KB morphed my W7pro into nonGenuine-ness; however, I do know that after I ran The 'Net batchfile and restarted -- my Windows 7 Pro became and remained Genuine again.  And, I have not let WU do anything from then on; maybe later, when I can really carefully watch, I'll let WU do some things.

Edited by RolandJS, 01 April 2016 - 12:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users