Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports Don't Work Unless I Restart the Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wolffie03

Wolffie03

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:34 PM

So title pretty much sums up my problem. It all started after I looked at this article to get rid of icons that I didn't have anymore. I did that and a lot of old icons from programs I used to have cleared up. Great, right? Well, what startled me is I have two of the file explorers. The screenshot is here. See how one has description and the other one doesn't? Idk why I have two of them, but I just do. Right now, here's what my device managers look like even though I have my external and a test usb stick to make sure the ports are working. You can see in the picture that they are triangles with the yellow exclamation mark. As I'm typing this, my cruzer usb stick is not glowing - which is unusual because if it works, it usually glows orange.

What really irritates me is this happens at least once a day and the issue fixes itself if I restart the computer. So idk if I'm infected. Malwarebytes comes up as my computer being clean; Hitman Pro is the same. Then there's also adwcleaner that also gives me the message there's no malicious programs so idk what to do. Right now, I'm running sfc /scannow. If nothing comes up, then idk if restarting my computer will have to be something to get used to. :/

Update: The sfc scan finished and here are the results.

Edited by Wolffie03, 27 March 2016 - 06:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:09 PM

If all this started after you made the registry change for the icons, run Windows System Restore - choose a restore point prior to editing the registry -

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-8-windows-rt-tutorials/10724-windows-system-restore-restore-your-system-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the article. I'll try that as a last resort but for now, I've changed the power settings when I google searched seeing someone else on a different forum having the same problems. As in the USB works for them (if it truly didn't work then the ones on top of my desktop tower that activate my mouse or keyboard wouldn't work), but for some reason the other ports that don't have a USB device inserted or anything wouldn't work until a restart.

For them, it was some simple power settings. I'll let you know within the next few days if that fixed anything. They had unchecked to allow the computer to turn the off the USB Root hub to save power and also disabled the USB selective suspended setting, so I'll see what happens.

Edited by Wolffie03, 27 March 2016 - 09:37 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:41 AM

You should do as jcgriff2 has suggested.  If a change in the registry is causing this you need to address that.

If you are trying to change the power settings this should be done in the Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers.  Specifically the USB Root Hubs.  

Double click on one, click/tap on Power Management and remove the check for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.  Then click/tap on OK.

Edited by dc3, 28 March 2016 - 10:41 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:32 AM

Okay. That's odd. I just tested my USB stick after having already done the power options and my PC is picking up the USB stick unlike the struggle I had for the past few days around this hour. Maybe the power settings were probably the cause of that. I'll still give it another day just to make sure it's not a one day thing. Plus, my USB keyboard and mouse still work. So it's not a case of the registry but I do wonder why I have two file explorers in the icons.

(I had made a backup of the registry for the icons that I had changed before making said changes from that article, so importing the registry could more than likely fix that. I forgot to mention that. It'd be nice to know how to import those settings as a worse case scenario option.)

Edited by Wolffie03, 28 March 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#6 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:55 PM

So it's been the second day and my USB ports have been working all day. I guess it was just the power options that were the cause of my USB ports to suddenly stop working during the day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users