Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low disk space on recovery partition, and games crash

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kheladef

kheladef

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

Hi! 

I have a lenovo ideapad y560 that's fairly new and "clean enough", in my opinion. And I have a couple of problems that I think might be related. Or maybe not, but I'd still like them fixed. 

I installed a couple of games, dirt rally and trials evolution gold edition, and they both crash on startup, with only a notice that the app has stopped working. 

So poking around, uninstalling, checking for drivers updates, reinstalling and such, I got a notice of low disk space on recovery drive. I went to look at it and out of the 30gb assigned to the partition, over 28 were being used by 2 backup sets. 

So I went to look at the Backup and Restore within the control panel. It says that Windows Backup has not been set up, and that Windows couldn't find a backup for this computer.. Which seems odd, since there's 28+gb of backup right there.. 

So, I don't know if I can or want to delete that, could i allocate more space to it? would that stop my games crashing? 

Can anybody help? 

Thanks for reading! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:16 PM

The recovery partition is not a backup of your current system. The recovery partition is used to reinstall Windows/reset your system to factory default settings. I would not touch any file on it or try to add space to the partition. It is advisable to leave it alone.

Try changing the compatibility setting for the games - Windows  Explorer properties tab; compatibility tab.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2  

Edited by jcgriff2, 27 March 2016 - 08:18 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 kheladef

kheladef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:52 PM

Hi Thanks for your answer jcgriff2, no luck with the compatibility settings, still nothing.. I won't fiddle with the recovery partition though

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

"...I got a notice of low disk space on recovery drive..." and "...I won't fiddle with the recovery partition though."

Unless I am mistaken, it appears end-user has already altered the recovery partition -- else why would Windows bother giving a low-disk warning for that partition?  End-user, did you add anything to this partiion, i.e., any backup images?  If so, carefully copy them out of that partition onto any external media, and then carefully delete said backup images.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 March 2016 - 09:03 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 kheladef

kheladef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

RolandJS, no i didn't add anything to it, at all. or altered anything about it. I don't know why it gave a warning, and it's still showing a low disk space icon in my taskbar

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:25 AM

What operating system  ?

You can - Download Speccy   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/  and post results.

A possibility is System Restore may have been enabled on that Partition , but i doubt it if its new laptop.

Before you go about trying stuff on your own , and possibly making things worse  , wait for someone to assist you with any instructions.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:14 AM

Havachat, excellent point!  Perhaps a BC tech will ask end-user if that recovery partition still has a drive letter assigned to it, and if so, walk end-user through removing that assigned drive letter if one was assigned by Windows prime.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 March 2016 - 09:57 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users