Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

May have messed up this morning

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

When I boot up I normally get a welcome screen that has some different options buttons.  One of which is to check drivers.

Instead of just dismissing the window like i usually do I chose to check my drivers.

It spent alittle while refreshing the cache from ubunto servers it came up with 3 and a message no proprietary drivers are in use.

Like a dummy I clicked on 1 of the 3 and manually installed.  That took awhile also, I had to reboot and I had trouble entering my password to get back to mint.

What was weird is they were ATI drivers and I have a Nvida grafics card. I use a complex password and I would have to wait a couple of seconds between each letter/number/symbol until the cursor moved over. Never had that happen before.

Now I also get a small window saying I am in diagnostic mode and can find no way to get out.

Any help appreciated.  When I tried to revert back only the apply changes button would work, the revert would not.

Lawd what did I mess up now? lol

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

Hi Mate - do you remember back here, where I said

Newbies on screenshots -

If you need to know how to post a screenshot in the Linux Section, you can read, at Linux How-To and Tutorial Section, NickAu's Topic “How to post a screenshot Linux style”. Or click

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558714/how-to-post-a-screen-shot-linux-style/

or for more choices in Image Hosting sites, see Moderator Stolen's Post here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot/?hl=%2Btinypic+%2Bimgur+%2Bphotobucket#entry3386653

… #2 refers.

More recently, in helping another Member, they used http://postimage.org (formerly postimg.org), I joined it, and they are also BC friendly

... have you had the opportunity to do so yet? If not, now would be a good time, it will help us with your "State of the Nation" immeasurably if we have piccies.

Here's a couple from my 17.3 Cinnamon

XBm1GiR.png

The above shows my usual state, using the generic Nouveau driver, kindly provided by Xorg. You can see I have a GeForce GT 740M card from nVidia. On this Toshiba, it is sharing graphics with Intel, so some of my circumstances will differ to yours, but is that like the screen you saw after the driver updates checking had finished?

Ut4mY2M.png

The above shows the scene following my deciding to give nvidia-352 a chance to strut its stuff. Once I clicked the button to choose 352, the Revert button appears, but it would only change me back to placement beside the Nouveau from whence I had started. It does not revert actual changes of the driver installed to that of previously. It is useful if you have a long list of driver options, and you can't remember where you were before you clicked another.

That list, BTW never grows TOO long, as Linux updates cull the oldest entries after a period of time. For example in one of my Minties, it used to have v304 that was quite good, but nowadays the oldest one listed is in the 340's. To reinstall an old driver that worked well you have to do it manually from Terminal, mentioned elsewhere in this Post.

After applying the changes, I restarted as prompted, everything works fine (with an exception). Only difference I could note so far is that at Login, where I enter my password used to have the OK button to the right, after the changes, it was a line below.

It sounds as though you were on the Nouveau to begin with. Do recall having been into Drivers before and seeing that that was checked?

Have to leave for a few minutes but back with more.

:wizardball: Wizard

Edited typo

Edited by wizardfromoz, 27 March 2016 - 08:20 PM.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:12 PM

I have been trying to get this stupid Shutter program to work for some reason I can not get it to capture only the active window.

I all ready have a Imgur hosting account and have used it before.  Those are the windows I get but I have only 3 drivers listed

Working on it boss. I will have to wait untill I reboot again or is there another way to get to the driver update thing

Thanks.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

Try "Screenshot" that is included in Mint.  Look for it or just type it after opening the Menu.  Remember to choose what you want to screenshoot, in this case, Current window or something to that effect.

"Working on it boss. I will have to wait untill I reboot again or is there another way to get to the driver update thing"
-Driver Manager-

This is why I always suggest to post the output of inxi -F ,open Terminal and Copy Paste it so you don't get it wrong.  Hit Enter and wait for the output.  Even better, save it to a word doc or text doc so that you have it for these purposes.  I'm guessing it would have shown the Nouveau driver in place.  

Edited by pcpunk, 27 March 2016 - 09:47 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

1st up, let's see if you can get into Drivers. Apart from through the Welcome Screen, which you can call up anytime by going to Menu and starting to type in Welcome, you can get there by going to Menu-Administration-Driver Manager, or just Menu and start typing Driver.

Can you get into the Driver Manager? If so, report what you see, or a screenshot is even better.

:wizardball: Wiz

BTW - hi punk! Dannyboy as punk said, Gnome screenshot is under Accessories or start to type in screen, set the timer to give you a few seconds to get the proposed piccie ready.

Edited typo and added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 27 March 2016 - 09:52 PM.

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:10 PM

@dannyboy950:

While you are offline (hopefully getting a good night's sleep)

I all ready have a Imgur hosting account and have used it before

If you have only posted to Windows section, there is a different protocol under the Linux & Unix Section for putting it into your Reply Pane. Let us know before you try.

Also follow friend punk's advice about

inxi -F

... but try it with

inxi -Fx

instead, it provides a few more lines that will be useful to you and to us.

A little background reading for you is at NickAu's excellent Topic found here.

However, I would ask that you DON'T apply all the info there before we talk about it here - there are two references there which do not apply to your current circumstances under Rosa Cinnamon, OK?

Later

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:10 AM

Should have remembered this is Linux!  There is always more than one way to skin a cat LOL.

Sorry I will probably be at the Doctors offices most of the day. Not doing too good

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:24 AM

I hope you feel better and I hope you can resolve this issue. (Are these conditions connected? Computers make me sick too!!!)

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

">http://24mFN2c.png

Lets see if this works.

Hmmmnnn was not quite what I expected. lol  Still working on it

Edited by dannyboy950, 28 March 2016 - 09:39 AM.

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:29 AM

@dannyboy950,

First of all, I would disable the "Welcome Screen".  I disable it on the 2nd day when I found it wasn't serving any useful purpose (at least for me) and I have never had the need to open it again.  Also, you wouldn't get the inclination to click on anything on the "Welcome Screen" like you did.  Besides, you can always bring up the "Welcome Screen" from the Main Menu any time you want to.  So do yourself a favor now and uncheck the box to "Show this dialog at startup."

YXw69jL.png

====================================================================================

The 2nd part of this post is to show you how to use Shutter as it relates to posting screenshots on this forum.

You can use Shutter to edit and upload an image to an image hosting site then include the image in your post.  However, in order to do this, you need to install a package called libgoo-canvas-perl which will extend the functionality of Shutter.

a. Install libgoo-canvas-perl

1.  Open your Main Menu and search for Software Manager.

2.  Launch Software Manager and type your password when prompted.

IJSrZL9.png

3.  When Software Manager opens, type libgoo-canvas-perl in the search box near the top right corner.

CqljBN1.png

4.  Double-click on the correct libgoo-canvas-perl entry for your system.  The entry with "i386" in the name is for 32-bit systems and the entry without "i386" is for 64-bit systems.

5.  When the description page opens, click on the Install button.

rjJsfHo.png

6.  Wait until the ongoing actions progress bar at the bottom of the window indicates that it has finished installing.

b. Taking a screenshot with Shutter

1.  Launch Shutter.

2.  There are 3 types of screenshots you can take:

• Selection - which allows you to draw a rectangle around the part of the screen you want to capture.
  • Desktop - which captures the entire desktop.  If you use more than one Workspace, you can also click the triangular down arrow for more options.
  • Window - which allows you to hover and click a window to capture.  You can also use the triangular arrow to select a window.

jRthOF5.png

c. Exporting a screenshot

1.  Once you have taken a screenshot, click on the Export button to upload it to an image hosting site.  An Upload / Export window will open.  There are several options but we will stick with Public hosting for the purpose of these instructions.

LpG71Lj.png

2.  In the Choose account box, click the down arrow and select a site from the list.  I am not familiar with the other hosting sites so I will choose Imgur guest.

3.  Click on the Upload button and wait while your screenshot is uploaded.

4.  When the screenshot has finished uploading, a window titled Upload - <name of hosting site> with a number of links will open.

baIIvJc.png

5.  Click on the "Copy" icon for Original image to copy the link to your clipboard.  (Note: The links aren't always presented in the same order).

6.  On the forum topic you are replying to, scroll down near the end of the page and click on the More Reply Options button.

7.  To include a screenshot in your post, click on the Image button.  An Image Properties box will open.

QLRQE7i.png

8.  Press Ctrl + v to paste the link in the URL field and hit Enter.  The image will appear in your post.

NOTE: You can do a lot more with Shutter but it would be too much to go into here.

========================================

Addendum

@dannyboy950, I see you have learned how to post an image.  However, as I have already done the work, I will still post these instructions in case someone else finds it useful.

Edited by Agouti, 28 March 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#11 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:45 AM

Agouti,

Thank you for posting those instructions for screenshot. It will be very useful for a 'Linux newb' like myself.

Just love this forum, always learn something new.

#12 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

You're welcome, sikntired.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,261 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

Agouti,

Thank you for posting those instructions for screenshot. It will be very useful for a 'Linux newb' like myself.

+1 I've been wanting to learn this for a while now, and now without any effort here it is thanks to Agouti.  This one surely deserves a Vote for a Tutorial! unfortunately I don't do this voting lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

My thanks as well. Very detailed.  I think part of my problem is I am not editing/resizing the screen shot so that it will fit better into a post.

May be wrong tho lol.

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

Some comments going chronologically backwards, since my last Post here:

@dannyboy950:

Those shots are excellent, mate, now we are cooking with gas! There is a slight http reference which appears with the first but is not present when we click the screenshot and the resolution appears fine, so go with it. A shortcut with Imgur if you are not aware of it is that when you are ready to port the shot from Imgur you can just right-click the image, choose "copy image location" and then return to BC and click the little picture frame icon in the toolbar and paste. No need to use that Imgur navigation/codes bar on the right under "Share with the community". Thanks to Al1000 for providing me with that some time ago - my .pngs worked fine with that sidebar, but I couldn't do .jpegs with it, the right-click of the image does that fine).

@Agouti:

110% behind friend pcpunk

If you are not aware -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572096/please-read-submission-guidelines-and-how-to-post-linux-how-tos-and-tutorials/

... has details on how to submit to post a tutorial - one of the Mods (may or may not be computerxpds) will be assigned to take a look.

@sikntired:

Hi, and Ditto to the above :thumbup2:

Back @dannyboy950:

Mate, as soon as you are able, if you could come up with that

inxi -Fx

output, that would be great. Looking at that drivers screenshot, (and not knocking you) - I can't see how you can have a nVidia card in that puter, but paraphrasing The Bard - "There are more things in heaven and earth, dannyboy950, than are dreamt of in my philosophy".

So that inxi output will reveal.

When you are in Terminal with it, you can just click the Edit menu item, choose Select All, then right-click in the highlighted area and click Copy; and then in BC reply pane click Paste. While you still have the Terminal text highlighted, you can go to the Show Desktop icon (this is if you can't see a blank part of your Desktop) right of Menu, and on your Desktop, right-click and open a new unformatted text document and paste and save the inxi output.

Then you always have it for that puter, and can if you wish incorporate relevant data in your Profile and/or signature?

Cheers, and we can work out that Shutter issue elsewhere, anytime ... at least you are up and running with Screenshot, and Screenshot ships as default with many, many Distros from all families so having knowledge of it won't go astray.

BTW - sincere hopes that the health issues resolve themselves favourably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users