First of all, I would disable the "Welcome Screen". I disable it on the 2nd day when I found it wasn't serving any useful purpose (at least for me) and I have never had the need to open it again. Also, you wouldn't get the inclination to click on anything on the "Welcome Screen" like you did. Besides, you can always bring up the "Welcome Screen" from the Main Menu any time you want to. So do yourself a favor now and uncheck the box to "Show this dialog at startup."
The 2nd part of this post is to show you how to use Shutter as it relates to posting screenshots on this forum.
You can use Shutter to edit and upload an image to an image hosting site then include the image in your post. However, in order to do this, you need to install a package called libgoo-canvas-perl which will extend the functionality of Shutter.
a. Install libgoo-canvas-perl
1. Open your Main Menu and search for Software Manager.
2. Launch Software Manager and type your password when prompted.
3. When Software Manager opens, type libgoo-canvas-perl in the search box near the top right corner.
4. Double-click on the correct libgoo-canvas-perl entry for your system. The entry with "i386" in the name is for 32-bit systems and the entry without "i386" is for 64-bit systems.
5. When the description page opens, click on the Install button.
6. Wait until the ongoing actions progress bar at the bottom of the window indicates that it has finished installing.
b. Taking a screenshot with Shutter
1. Launch Shutter.
2. There are 3 types of screenshots you can take:
- Selection - which allows you to draw a rectangle around the part of the screen you want to capture.
- Desktop - which captures the entire desktop. If you use more than one Workspace, you can also click the triangular down arrow for more options.
- Window - which allows you to hover and click a window to capture. You can also use the triangular arrow to select a window.
c. Exporting a screenshot
1. Once you have taken a screenshot, click on the Export button to upload it to an image hosting site. An Upload / Export window will open. There are several options but we will stick with Public hosting for the purpose of these instructions.
2. In the Choose account box, click the down arrow and select a site from the list. I am not familiar with the other hosting sites so I will choose Imgur guest.
3. Click on the Upload button and wait while your screenshot is uploaded.
4. When the screenshot has finished uploading, a window titled Upload - <name of hosting site> with a number of links will open.
5. Click on the "Copy" icon for Original image to copy the link to your clipboard. (Note: The links aren't always presented in the same order).
6. On the forum topic you are replying to, scroll down near the end of the page and click on the More Reply Options button.
7. To include a screenshot in your post, click on the Image button. An Image Properties box will open.
8. Press Ctrl + v to paste the link in the URL field and hit Enter. The image will appear in your post.
NOTE: You can do a lot more with Shutter but it would be too much to go into here.
@dannyboy950, I see you have learned how to post an image. However, as I have already done the work, I will still post these instructions in case someone else finds it useful.
Edited by Agouti, 28 March 2016 - 11:33 AM.