Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with new IPHONE user....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

Moved to the IPHONE 4. Yes, I know it's dated, but gives me a chance to try the " apple way" of mobile devices. Coming from an Android user platform, Some questions about IPHONE 4 usage.

Are the only apps available, through the APPLE STORE?

Some of my favorite Android apps, have similar IPHONE 4 Apps, but a lot are saying Need OS8 or above, the IPHONE 4 I have is using OS 7.2.1 OS....I read a lot of articles that say...DO NOT UPGRADE, nothing but problems....thoughts?

Really need an AP to block calls. I can use the CONTACT, then block number idea, but those calling this number still get the answering machine. As Far as I can tell this only stops the Phone from ringing on my end. Pretty basic idea on phone blocking. I need an app that will not allow the caller to hear a ring, or will push to a private Voicemail specific to the blocked caller list that would say something along the lines of " THIS NUMBER DOES NOT ACCEPT CALLS, ETC.". Difficult to find a app that does this....Is it available on IPHONE4, or maybe a third party call management idea...something basic and inexpensive...this is a must to have idea. THOUGHTS???

Thanks..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

Looking for a call/blocker to use on IPHONE4...OS 7.1.2. I can block calls by using the CONTACTS/BLOCK...but all that does is a simply not ring the phone and blocked callers go to VOICEMAIL MESSAGE. The only "blocked" in this approach is no call is ringing on my phone. Is there an ap that will not let block callers even access the voicemail message..simply go to a dead tone,etc.? Maybe a third party call manager if not ap for this?

Edited by hamluis, 31 March 2016 - 07:17 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:47 AM

Moved to the IPHONE 4. Yes, I know it's dated, but gives me a chance to try the " apple way" of mobile devices. Coming from an Android user platform, Some questions about IPHONE 4 usage.

Unless you "jailbreak" your iPhone, then yes apps are only available through the Apple App Store.

Some of my favorite Android apps, have similar IPHONE 4 Apps, but a lot are saying Need OS8 or above, the IPHONE 4 I have is using OS 7.2.1 OS....I read a lot of articles that say...DO NOT UPGRADE, nothing but problems....thoughts?

I have no direct experience with running iOS 8 or 9 on an iPhone 4. I did have a 4S, but it was still running iOS 7 (if I recall correctly) when I gave it to a friend as I had upgraded to a 5S.

I would say it really depends on how much experience with the "apple way" you want. To get the full "current" experience, you basically need to be running the most current OS as will have all of the currently OS features (there are few that you cannot get unless you have hardware that supports it such things like 3D Touch or Touch ID). Of course, performance of an iPhone 4 might not be so great with iOS 9 (this is likely the gist of the articles you mentioned). So, it is kind of a catch 22...you cannot really get the full "experience" with iOS 9, but then an iPhone 4 might not run iOS 9 so great.

Really need an AP to block calls. I can use the CONTACT, then block number idea, but those calling this number still get the answering machine. As Far as I can tell this only stops the Phone from ringing on my end. Pretty basic idea on phone blocking. I need an app that will not allow the caller to hear a ring, or will push to a private Voicemail specific to the blocked caller list that would say something along the lines of " THIS NUMBER DOES NOT ACCEPT CALLS, ETC.". Difficult to find a app that does this....Is it available on IPHONE4, or maybe a third party call management idea...something basic and inexpensive...this is a must to have idea. THOUGHTS???

Thanks..

I cannot really comment on this as I don't use a call blocker, so I have no suggestions from experience. I will note that are some apps the come up when searching for "call blocker" in the App Store that supposedly work with iOS 7. And some of them are free. So, if you want, you can try them or read through the features and reviews. I will note that I have not used any of them nor do I know if any of them are really from reputable companies/people. Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

BTW, have you entered your cell phone number into the Do Not Call registry (https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx). This obviously will not stop unscrupulous telemarketers, but it does a pretty good job of stopping calls for me.

One other thing to try is Do Not Disturb mode. You can set up Do Not Disturb to ring the phone unless it is someone from your Favorites list or even someone from all your contacts. Others that call will still go to your normal voicemail, so it is not completely what you want. Plus, when the phone is in Do Not Disturb mode, it will not make any sounds for other types of alerts (such as email messages, text notifications, other app notifications, etc). I wish Apple would give more "granular" control as to which apps get silenced by Do Not Disturb (for example, I tend to turn on Do Not Disturb at night, would still like my weather alert app to warn me about things like tornados), but they have not paid attention to my suggest...at least not yet.

#4 I_Just_Post_Here

I_Just_Post_Here

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

iPhone 4 is not compatible with iOS 8 or iOS 9. It won't receive any future software updates and most of the latest app updates won't be available to it. I'd suggest changing to a newer mobile.

#5 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

Thanks.....I know IPHONE has it followers, but Samsung seems a lot easier to work with and the android platform doesn't seem to have all this "frozen" app situation. Thanks for dropping by....

#6 blingblingbling

blingblingbling

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:20 AM

I wouldn't answer unknown calls. 

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

Yes.

The iPhone 4 is NOT compatible with iOS 8+. The iPhone 4's operating system stops at version 7.1.2. There is no way to upgrade.

The default blocking feature does not do it? "Settings>Phone>Blocked"  sends them to voicemail and won't just block them all together?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users