Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU overheating

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HierophantMan

HierophantMan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:30 AM

Hello wise PC enthusiasts,

I have been using a Corsair H60 aio cooler to cool my i7 5820k for about a year and a half now. I monitored CPU temps for the first year or so and my temps were usually around 40c idle and 55c while gaming or anything of that sort. Just recently I decided to start monitoring my temps again and noticed that my temps are 60-70c(!) idle and 80-90c under load. My PC hasn't shut itself down or anything like that and I haven't seemed to have any type of performance issues, but I know there's a problem because the temps are much, much higher than before.

I took off my panel and inspected and I had a huge amount of dust clogging my radiator fins and fan, so I dusted it all out nicely and booted back up. My temps are still just as high as before. The air coming out of the radiator through the top of my case is ice cold even if I feel it while my cpu is at 85c or higher. I checked my pump reading using some monitor software and it showed my pump as running at 4400rpm and it still seems to be making noise. Could it be the thermal paste has dried up or something? Or could my pump still be dead even though it's reading at 4400rpm?

important details:

-Corsair H60 cooling i7 5820k for 1 1/2 years

-Used stock thermal paste that came with product

-Old temps were 40c idle/55c load, new temps 65c idle/90c load (or even higher, highest i've seen is 93c on a core)

-Pump reads as running at correct speed (4400rpm)

-Dusted out radiator fully, temps stayed just as high

-Air coming out of radiator is ice cold, block over CPU is hot to the touch

my ideas:

-bad thermal contact? maybe my paste is no good anymore or something

-bad pump? maybe pump is gone even though it reads at correct RPM

Any help would be very appreciated. I'm looking for some general advice before I order thermal paste or just a new cooler altogether.

Thank you for your time! :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

Contrary to what some may tell you, TIM (thermal interface material) does not need to be replaced just because it is a few years old or even if it has dried. The solid material that remains is still occupying the microscopic pits and valleys, displacing any insulating air that may otherwise get in there. So the only time you need to replace TIM is if the cured bond between the mating surfaces has been broken. And typically only happens when you remove the heatsink, or if the computer has been rough-handled or dropped during transport.

Frankly, your initial readings of 40-55°C when you first set this up seems high to me. Those are common temps with traditional heatsink fan assemblies. Unless your room (ambient) temps are abnormally high, I would have expected your temps to be 10 - 15° below that, easily.

You say the air coming out of the radiator is cold but the block over the CPU is hot. That suggests to me the coolant is not circulating. I suspect something is blocking the flow, a crimped hose or foreign object in the path or maybe the impeller has come off the shaft or is loose so the motor is spinning but not turning anything. Or, you have a coolant leak.

If me, I would reset all overclocks back to the defaults until this resolved. Then I would test the cooler for proper coolant levels and ensure it is circulating the coolant properly.

Edited by Bill_Bright, 27 March 2016 - 11:47 AM.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gifWindows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
───────────────────────

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

The Corsair H60 is a closed system in which you can not add to or change the fluid.

If there was a leak you would see evidence either in the bottom of the case below the exhaust fan or on the CPU.  If it had been leaking on the CPU and or motherboard you would have found out about this in a very dramatic fashion as sparks would literally fly.

Because the reservoir and fan was designed to be mounted vertically I suspect that the chances of the fan becoming disengaged would be close to nil.  I would also give about the same chance of the impeller failing.

Is the power connector connected to a header which stays on while the computer is running?

Is the exhaust fan spinning?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 HierophantMan

HierophantMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:02 PM

Yes, my fan seems to be running at 100% as far as I can tell between monitors and looking at it, and the air coming out of it is ice cold still. I reverted all of my overclocks and even enabled intel speedstep to help keep my temps down. I'm now idling at 50c or so but it still heats up to 80-90c under load eventually. I think I may just RMA the H60 and see if a new one fixes the issue as I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to troubleshooting my pump or coolant lines. The pump reads as running at 4400 rpm and seems to be making noise so I don't know beyond that.

Edited by HierophantMan, 27 March 2016 - 04:05 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

A thirty to forty degree C increase in temperature under a load is very high.  You posted that you used the thermal compound which came with the product.  I'm guessing this product is the Corsair H-60?

Try running the computer with the side panel of the case removed to see if it run appreciably cooler.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

If the CPU block of the Corsair H60 is hot to touch, and the exhaust air at the H60 radiator is cold (with both the fan & the pump running) then there is a problem with the H60 & there is no point in looking for other thermal problems until you have solved that very fundamental problem - probably by replacement as the H60 is supposed to be a sealed unit.

The thermal interface compound between the CPU and the H60 CPU block is would seem to be doing a reasonable job if the CPU block is hot to touch (the time to consider this a problem is if the CPU is hot but the CPU cooler / CPU block is much cooler). 

Edited by rqt, 28 March 2016 - 10:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users