Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ram change

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnyjohn

johnyjohn

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:34 AM

Hi can any one please tell me why my ram is 8gb but only shows 3754 in maximum memory if i change it to 8gb it goes back to 3754? thanks if you can help johnyjohn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnyjohn

johnyjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

hi its my again just checked my ram  and it shows 8192 MEMORY  5819 FREE 19% USED hope this helps still only showing 3754 in maximum memory thanks johnyjohn.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:27 PM

It sounds to me like you have 8GB installed memory but the system still only shows about 1/2 in use.

We need more information for troubleshooting purposes

For starters, Did you originally have less memory installed and have upgraded to 8GB?

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:34 PM

It's not clear where it's showing 8 GB and where it's showing less than 4 GB.  If you're running the 32 bit version of Windows, it's not going to be able to address more than 4 GB.  That's because (2**32)-1 = 4095, basic math.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 johnyjohn

johnyjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:14 AM

Sorry for getting back late but it has corrected its self it is 64 bit and it was showing in msconfig in maximum memory when  i changed it to 8 gb and restated it it went back to 4gb as it was bedtime when i posted it i went to sleep got up today all is ok thanks for your help  johnyjohn

#6 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:33 AM

Hi.

Make sure you are using a x64 Operating System.

Make sure RAM is correctly placed and correctly seated in their slots. Try swapping the modules too. Try installing just the new ones to see if they are properly recognized by BIOS.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:57 AM

Here's an article that explains the differences in RAM on x86 systems.
Most of it explains the possible problems that you're discussing - it's just that (in x64 systems) there's a lot more RAM available than there was in x86 systems.

http://www.carrona.org/4gblimit.html

The actual 4gB limit only applies to x86, not to x64

W10 Home memory limit is 128gB

other versions of W10 are 2tB

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users