Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iMac and PC network with 3Com and D-link

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GazzaBJ

GazzaBJ

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 05 December 2004 - 02:09 PM

I have a home network with a 3com Airconnect access point plugged in to a switch box on my home PC network. I have a PC which has a wireless connection and has connected to the 3Com box without any trouble.

I have also inherited am old iMac that has a D-link dwl-122 USB adapter for wireless connection.

The problem is that I am completely new to the iMac. I have seen there has been a lot of trouble with the d-link adapter, so have installed the latest 1.4.7 driver for it. I have also got as far as trying to set it up.

This is where my trouble starts as the adapter never finds the wireless network. I have used a direct ethernet cable connection between the switch box and the iMac and that connected without any problems.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get this working wirelessly. Do I have to manually configure the adapter? if so what do I have to do to do this.

As I said before I dont know much about the iMac and need as much help as possible.

The 3com Airconnect is 802.11b compatible as is the USB adapter. The PCI card I am using in the PC is 802.11b + g and is working as I mentioed above.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Gaz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:46 PM

what OS is on the mac?
if classic os (anything from OS 1 to 9.2)
you need to have the appletalk control panel set to your wireless device
you need to have tcp/ip control panel set to your wireless device

it might install another control panel ... usually it is named after the
company or the product... allows control over the wireless device.

is the wireless device on the imac using USB?
you might need to update the firmware on the machine... also
might need to update the usb firmware... to do that...
well let's say it will take a long post...
just try the previous items first, ok?

thanks

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#3 GazzaBJ

GazzaBJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:50 AM

I have tried osx 10.3, 10.3.2 and 10.3.4 with no luck.

Does that help at all?

Gaz

#4 MacDaddy

MacDaddy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:21 AM

I actually had some success with the dwl-122 after updating the drivers, but are you aware of the Mac community issues with it? Not everyone's been happy:

http://www.petitiononline.com/dwl122/petition.html

However, this doesn't solve your issue.
Have you enabled the root account and fixed permissions proper, try Cmd + S at startup and run the fsck -f and check the disk? You can also try disabling the Built-In Ethernet and any en-1/unknown ports and reinstall the software. It's not pulling a good IP? 3-com and d-link are compatible, as far as I know, but maybe it' best to cut your losses and get a new USB adapter.
Good luck!

#5 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:54 AM

sorry dude, i meant to reply...
im a OS 7-9.2 guy... X is a new beastie to me...
supposed to get a G4 cube soon...

if it was a classic mode app or OS problem...
i can fix it... heh
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#6 Rod Hagen

Rod Hagen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 08:23 PM

but maybe it' best to cut your losses and get a new USB adapter.

G'day MacDaddy,

My suggestion would actually to be to give up on the USB wireless devices and look for an ethernet "bridge" or access point.

USB and iMac wireless just don't seem to like each other for most people, regardless of the brand.

Duane has a useful little FAQ on the Apple discussion boards about such things.

Something like the Linksys WET11 or the D-Link DWL-180+ would be the way I would go.

Cheers

Rod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users