Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Firewall Turned on But Not Detected

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 traguchodo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

The problem I am having is that my work requires me to use a VPN to be connected to the network. When I installed the software, Pulse Secure VPN, it does a health check to ensure that you have antivirus application and a firewall.
I do have an antivirus application (Microsoft Security Essentials) and I do have Windows Firewall turned on... both are working and I'm not having any virus problems. I know the firewall is working because sometimes when I run a program that requires network access, the firewall will prompt me to allow access.
Unfortunately, the health check does not detect Windows Firewall as being turned on on my computer and thus I am not able to connect to the VPN. I have attached screenshots of this problem and the control panel showing that Windows Firewall is actually working.
I am using Windows 7.
The steps I have tried to solve this problem are choosing to "restore default policy" of the firewall and also deleted the wbem/repository folder and allowed it to be recreated on a restart. I have tried starting and stopping the Windows firewall service but I have got no results and the health check still reports that it is turned off.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,173 posts
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:19 PM

Windows 7 has a built in VPN client.  Why not use it?

type Connect to a workplace in the search box and press enter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,632 posts
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:45 PM

I suggest you try to block all incoming connections, including whitelisted apps.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users