Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No signal to monitor with new Acer computor.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Blackstar57

Blackstar57

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:58 PM

A friend of mine was having problems with his old Win 7 computer over heating so he bought a new Acer Aspire XC-704. I set it up for him with all his old files, docs, pics, etc. The new PC has only HDMI out so I used an HDMI cable and an adaptor to go to DVI. This worked on my 24" Acer monitor.

Brought the computor to him today after he ordered and received a new cable ($18.00 at the Source online) , HDMI to DVI-D. I hooked up all his peripherals and turned the computor on but had no signal to the monitor. Tried the second HDMI out and still no signal. We went to The Source store in the local Mall and the guy couldn't help because the cable was bought online. Thinking we had a bad cable we bought another ($60.00 ????) Tried it with the same result.

Brought the computer back to my place to investigate. Hooked up to my monitor using the $18.00 cable and it worked perfectly. Out of curiosity I hooked up an old monitor I had that had liquid spilled on it (partial black screen , heading for recycle) but even this monitor worked fine with his PC.

His older computer was working fine besides the overheating and shut down and the monitor worked. Is there something I'm missing here or is his monitor toast? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Glenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

Hello again. I'm really stumped on this monitor. I've tried every combination of cable between this computer and my own without success. Tried my own DVI cable on the new computer with an adapter and his monitor gets no signal but when I unplugged same cable from his monitor and plugged into mine it works. His dvi plug works with an older computer but won't receive a signal via the hdmi/dvi cable...

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

Does the monitor use dual-link DVI (DVI-DL)? No laptop I know of can output DVI-DL. If you are sure the monitor is single link, let me know and I will give you something else to try.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

Does the monitor use dual-link DVI (DVI-DL)? No laptop I know of can output DVI-DL. If you are sure the monitor is single link, let me know and I will give you something else to try.

I'm not sure I understand the difference. The monitor is an I-INC (iF191D) Model no HU198W. MFG date Aug 2007. It has DVI and VGA inputs.

The computer is a new Acer Aspire. AXC-704-EB52. It's a small desktop computer. The only video outputs are 2 HDMI. What I have for a cord is an HDMI to DVI. I have tried all the combinations I could with this computer, my own and a spare I have plus 3 different monitors. This seems to be the only monitor that won't receive a signal through the HDMI/DVI cable. The monitor works with the other computers with both the DVI and VGA inputs. I could just tell the guy to buy a new monitor but he's retired on a pension and I don't want to waste his money if I can make this work. But it looks like a dud....

Thanks

Glenn

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

The only document I could find for that monitor was a spec sheet; but, it says it is DVI-D (there are 4 kinds of DVI, BTW) and my thought is to mess with the setup buttons to change the source (VGA -> DVI).
You might also make sure its set to 1440X900 which is its native resolution.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

If you can, try the monitor with a different PC.

#7 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

The only document I could find for that monitor was a spec sheet; but, it says it is DVI-D (there are 4 kinds of DVI, BTW) and my thought is to mess with the setup buttons to change the source (VGA -> DVI).

I checked the settings in the monitor menu and could only see either digital or analog. It's kind of a moot point now because the guy showed up today with a brand new HP 23" monitor that he picked up for $130.00. I will hook up the old one again though and check the resolution. That's something I didn't check thinking it was automatic to which ever monitor was connected.

Thanks for the advice...

Glenn

If you can, try the monitor with a different PC.

Did this on 2 other PC's and it works perfectly. Just not on this one.

#8 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:19 PM

I just changed the display settings to 1440 X 900 and got nothing. Tried both monitors at the same time and the new one works but not the older one. Clicked on the Detect button and it only finds the new monitor.

Again... thank you for the help but I think he'll be happy with the new monitor. It is a pretty cool looking monitor with slim frame. :)

Glenn

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:48 AM

Did you try the digital option in the monitor?

#10 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:13 PM

Did you try the digital option in the monitor?

Yes. No go,

#11 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

which version of HDMI is the cable and the outputs on the PC?

#12 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

Since he went ahead and bought a new monitor, it really is a moot point; but, a 2007 monitor with no documentation is a setup for.....

#13 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

Since he went ahead and bought a new monitor, it really is a moot point; but, a 2007 monitor with no documentation is a setup for.....

yes... and thank you for the advice everyone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users