Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UM player Crashes my PC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:54 PM

I like UM player, and have been using it for a couple of years

I can listen to it for hours, with no trouble and sometimes for days without incedents

I dont know why, but it occasionally freezes the PC to where I have to unplug the PC

My question is, With Windows 10, how do I look for the cause? I get no error message when I reboot

When I had Windows XP, it would tell you your PC has recovered from a serious crash, and give you the info to what crashed it

How do I nail this down, in Windows 10 ?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,828 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:19 PM

I'm no expert but I think what you're looking for is the event viewer. If you right click on the start menu in the lower left hand corner of the screen, up pops a nice little menu. Scroll to "event viewer" and you can play around with that until you you find the crash log.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:12 PM

Yah thats it, I used to have a blue screen viewer on Windows XP which made it easier to troubleshoot

It seems Like 10 has an improved event viewer, where you can look it up online,

Something tells me it has something to do with Avast, Next time I play the UM player, I will disable Avast

Thanks!

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:54 PM

Next time I play the UM player, I will disable Avast

It would be one thing to disable your A/V for say 10 - 15 minutes to run a test to see if this player works any better with it disabled - so long as you don't go on-line during this time.

Having said that you can listen to this player for 'hours', if you were to disable your A/V for the same 'hours' and use your computer normally it would be highly risky to say the least. I would suggest uninstalling and re-installing the UM player, and perhaps doing the same with your A/V. Alternatively, you could try a different player. For example the VLC player is very well thought of.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

I have now, came to the conclusion, it has something to do with Windows 10. I had it happen again! After making that God awful buzzing sound when it freezes the PC, I rebooted, and all my music files were then all marked opens with 'Groove music;

I went on line to see what exactly Groove music was. Its a windows store ap, that I never loaded or signed up for

So not only do I have UM Player, I have an Acer Player a Windows player (Not the same as groove) and the stupid Groove music player

The Windows player, is actually a really nice well made player. The thing I dont like about it is, it doesnt have the playlist feature that the UMPlayer has. otherwise I would use that

The Acer player doesnt seem to work at all

So then I decided to uninstall Groove music. It isnt on the uninstall list. I dont know why I would need groove music if I already have Windows and acer players??

I am starting to think Groove music is some way for Microsoft to keep track of what people are listening to.

Chris, I found out it wasnt Avast thats causing the Crashes and I listen to the music off line and would never go online without Avast or an anti virus

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,828 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:16 AM

You should be able to scroll to the start icon in the lower left hand corner of the screen, open it up and then open up all apps. After that scroll to groove music, right click and uninstall. I hate groove music. From an audiophile perspective it is the worse music player that I have ever heard.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

It doesnt give you that option

The most you can do is, unpin it from the start page

Its not listed on the remove programs menue

I think it must be embedded into Windows 10

But yah, of the three players that came with this machine, that is by far the worst

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

Instructions to Uninstall Groove from Windows 10:  (but don't be too surprised if it gets reinstalled during an update.... :rolleyes: )

Uninstall Groove Music app from Windows 10

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:37 PM

Thanks Buddy!

I downloaded the program that the article led to and removed it. I will keep it and go through some other Windows programs I will never use, and delete them.

I will only do that if they interfere with software I installed, like UMpllayer

I think thats kind of a shady thing for Microsoft to do. Its like they are trying to control how I want to listen to music

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:14 PM

You're welcome....happy surfin'

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users