Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

R9 370 vs GT 730

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Folksy

Folksy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

Hey everyone, I'm not entirely technologically impaired, but I'm not as astute or educated about most things to do with internal computer affairs. So I'm going to need some help on a few issues I'm having.

So just last year, around December I bought an i7-6700, with 16 gigs of ram for gaming purposes. The problem is, I bought an R9 370 for my graphics card and I BELIEVE I've had nothing but problems with it. About a month after owning it, I noticed a small decrease in fps with certain games I played like Minecraft or Smite. So I did some googling to figure out what the issue might be, nothing turned up.

Just recently I hit an issue where my (C:) drive is running at 100% just from the smallest performances like compressing a video or something along those lines, where as before it ran with no issues, I've tried several different things to remedy this, like repairing it through properties, running virus scans, monitoring applications through my Open Resource Monitor, and a few other solutions, and to no avail, nothing remedied it.

But...

What's really confusing me is.. my cousin just recently bought a new graphics card, a GT 730, and for some reason it runs every game I own better then I could ever imagine. Which got me a little edgy of course, so I did a spec check on his computer I realized everything on his system is less superior to my PC. It had only 4 gigs of ram and a CPU that didn't compare to my i7-6700, so that got me thinking, what the heck could possibly be wrong with my computer? My graphics card should run these games better then his, yet he's using ultra settings, and I'm stuck on low just to keep things manageable.

Can someone give me some insight on what's happening?

-------------------------------------
Complete Specs of my PC:

-------------------------------------

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: XPS 8900

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 16302MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16302MB RAM

DirectX Version: 12

AMD Radeon R9 370 (4 gigs)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:10 PM

both the 730 and the 370 are low end cards, I run a 730 in my media center, and its a good card for what I use it for (hi def movie watching) But I wouldnt even dream of playing any games on it, or a 370 for that matter. Theyre not really that powerful of cards, though, the 370 should perform better seeing as its a newer model card. That combined with you mention your hard drive is running at 100% leads me to believe youve got something else going on with your system, either malware, or a to full hard drive, especially you indicated you initially, didnt have any problems.

Did you install any new software about the time you started having issues (such as teamspeak, antivirus, anything like that) that run constantly in the background?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Folksy

Folksy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:18 PM

both the 730 and the 370 are low end cards, I run a 730 in my media center, and its a good card for what I use it for (hi def movie watching) But I wouldnt even dream of playing any games on it, or a 370 for that matter. Theyre not really that powerful of cards, though, the 370 should perform better seeing as its a newer model card. That combined with you mention your hard drive is running at 100% leads me to believe youve got something else going on with your system, either malware, or a to full hard drive, especially you indicated you initially, didnt have any problems.

Did you install any new software about the time you started having issues (such as teamspeak, antivirus, anything like that) that run constantly in the background?

The thing is, if you do a spec check on both graphics cards you'll see the R9 is the better out of the two, yet his runs games like Ark Survival better then what mine can handle. Mine is only playable at 50-60fps on low, where as his gets that on Ultra. So that lead me to believe that there's something wrong with the device entirely. 

The only thing I've downloaded is a video editing software called VSDC, and it passed my virus scan so I'm not sure how it could of done anything, everyone else who suggested it didn't have any problems. The only things I download are from Steam or other trusted sources like Origins. 

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:55 PM

Are you and him running games at the same resolution?

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792, taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

The thing is, if you do a spec check on both graphics cards you'll see the R9 is the better out of the two, yet his runs games like Ark Survival better then what mine can handle. Mine is only playable at 50-60fps on low, where as his gets that on Ultra. So that lead me to believe that there's something wrong with the device entirely. 

The only thing I've downloaded is a video editing software called VSDC, and it passed my virus scan so I'm not sure how it could of done anything, everyone else who suggested it didn't have any problems. The only things I download are from Steam or other trusted sources like Origins. 

Steam, actually can, especially if it has something running in the background such as a voice client or something similar. But, with that said, follow the captains directions and maybe we can get a more specific view of the problem.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 Folksy

Folksy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

Alright here it is guys.

Speccy-
http://imgur.com/qTXWAfI

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   24.33KB   4 downloads

Edited by Folksy, 28 March 2016 - 07:26 PM.

#7 Folksy

Folksy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

Steam, actually can, especially if it has something running in the background such as a voice client or something similar. But, with that said, follow the captains directions and maybe we can get a more specific view of the problem.

It'd be odd for it to act up all of sudden but I wouldn't know even if it had. lol

Are you and him running games at the same resolution?

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792, taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Alright I've done what you asked, hopefully nothing too serious is going on.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:36 PM

just out of curiousity, how full is your hard drive?

picard5.jpg

#9 Folksy

Folksy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:31 PM

just out of curiousity, how full is your hard drive?

Out of 2TB, I've only used about 40 gigs.

Edited by Folksy, 29 March 2016 - 10:31 PM.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

well, im going through your error logs, and seeing a lot of errors about reading different information-the first one that popped out is Cortana. I woud try disabling it, and see if that helps at all, I would also download memtest86 to test your memory and seagates hard disc checker, i would start with the hard drive. 

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-legacy-support-master/

http://www.memtest86.com/

they are both ISO and will have to be burned to a DVD or CDR and booted up with them. the links I provided also provide information on how to run them.

Edited by the_patriot11, 29 March 2016 - 10:39 PM.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users