Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

added 8 gigs of ram no difference in performance?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Exactly

Exactly

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:51 PM

I recently added 8 gigs of ram but I cant tell any difference in performance is there any check up I can do? Thanks,

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:09 PM

What did you do to check it? If you arnt running any programs that need more then the amount of RAM you had before, you won't notice any difference at all.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Exactly

Exactly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:13 PM

Some you tubes glitchy...system boot up time is the same. App like Firefox dont load any fast. I actually have bootracer so it keeps track of boot up speed.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:20 PM

more ram wont really add any speed to your bootup, changing to a SSD perhaps. Were the Youtube videos glitch before hand? because they dont really require much in the way of memory-thats more of a connection issue, unless theres some kind of hardware problem such as faulty ram. Same with firefox, unless there is a physical problem with the ram, you will never notice any improvement, firefox simply doesnt use enough ram, unless you have about 5 million windows open at once.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Exactly

Exactly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

maybe i am delusional last computer i had when added the ram I noticed a difference right away..

#6 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:06 AM

maybe i am delusional last computer i had when added the ram I noticed a difference right away..

It all depends on how much was being used and how much was added.  If you are continuously swapping to a disk drive, then adding more RAM will have an immediate, noticable effect.  If you are not, then adding RAM won't have a noticable effect.

Try doing something like photo or video editing;  both of those are memory intensive (also GPU intensive), more RAM should be noticable on that.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:28 AM

IF you open up your task manager you should be able to see how much memory is in use.  Firefox is AFAIK still a 32 bit app in Windows and therefore the most memory it can ever use is 2 Gb.  Correction: A 64 bit version of Firefox is available.  FWIW I went from 8 to 16Gb (and 1333mhz to 1866mhz speed) and didn't notice any real difference in performance.  It was more of a fault finding exercise than an attempt to improve performance, but at least it was cheap.  I'm able to have more open at the same time before it starts to slow down, but TBH I've never seen it use all 16 Gb.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:08 PM

How much RAM did you have installed before adding the 8GBs?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

My take on RAM, O/S, and system.

There is a minimum amount of RAM that each O/S requires...in order to function effectively.  The fact that some users believe that increasing the RAM enables Windows to function more effectively/faster...does not correlate with the obvious, IMO.

Once the peak level of RAM is installed for a given O/S. the dyamics of the O/S kick in...and the O/S is not necessarily going to do what needs to be done more rapidly.  The factors impacting speed/efficiency...extend beyond providing the resources that a given quantitiy of RAM may provide for an O/S or system.  Microsoft builds its operating systems to function effectively with a (now seemingly) meager amount of RAM.  Multiplying that minimum stated amount...may result in increased efficiency...up to a given point.  What that point is...is fairly undocumented with the exception of reported user results.  Microsoft (or anyone else who could assert such with objectivity and honesty) never said that RAM equates to fuel paralleling wood thrown into a wood-burning stove.  More wood equals more heat...more RAM does not necessarily equate to anything other than...more RAM.  More RAM does not necessarily mean anything other than provisional resources...resources that the system may not use, beyond a given point and situation.

More RAM (up to a point) provides Windows with more resources to be used...but if Windows reaches peak efficiency before all those resources are called upon...a user just has a theoretical capability...that may never be put into play, based on how the system and O/S work together.

Louis

#10 Exactly

Exactly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

I had 8 gigs added 8 for a total of 16

#11 Exactly

Exactly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for all the input.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,072 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

There are several factors in ram upgrade vs actual performance gains.

Config files, what you run on startup, how good is your processor and other things.

Plus performance gains from a ram upgrade?

Dubious at best:

Look there is no harm in adding ram, after all it does help in video rendering but for gaming and overall performance?

Eh not that good of an option.

Heck the only reason why i got more then 8 gigs of ram now is that memory was on sale as of late.

Gaming I see no improvement nor do I see improvement in speed.

But i can render a video in no time flat.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users