Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 UPDATE TO W10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffers613

Jeffers613

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

I am intending to update from W7 to W10 and want to ensure that I first take a complete back-up using the automatic update routine that appears regularly (blue message box).

Will ALL of my existing settings come across without problems to W10 eg IE favourites,  all of my (4) user accounts and  passwords, Hotmail and G-mail  settings and passwords and my other email accounts (waitrose just mail and 1&1) settings and passwords?

In short, is there anything that works fine and dandy now in W7 which might not come across to W10 (or appear in W10 but not work properly)?

At the moment, when I back up (to my external hard drive)  a message comes up at the end to say that the back up completed successfully but that not all of my files were backed up! It doesn't tell me which files were excluded.

Why are some files not backed up? Is there any way I can 'force' a full back up or at least find out which files are not being backed up?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 March 2016 - 04:01 PM.
merged post in Windows 7 about this issue into this post

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:19 PM

I can't answer about the backup question you had.

But I also went from win7 to win10. Most of it was fine, I had a few problems, mainly my laptop getting a message every time it started up saying I need to restart so all drivers could load. That was the Hotkey driver. After going all over the net looking for a solution, most of them say download the latest driver, and getting no results, I finally went to the Hotkey application file and changed the compatibility to run in win8. That took care of the problem. I had one other problem, on my desktop, but I don't remember what it was now. But it was an easy fix. 

I'm no fan of 10, I like 7 a lot more but they are forcing you to go to 10. If not now, eventually, you will have to.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:53 PM

I've been using Easeus Todo Backup Free for the last 5 years without any problems.  It backs up everything, and I've used it successfully with Windows 7, 8, and 10 on many occasions.  You can restore anything from a single to your whole system with it.  It's free for home use.  There are a number of free backup/restore programs around, but this is the one I'm familiar and experienced with.  I would by all means avoid the backup program in Windows - it's simply buggy and unreliable.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

"Why are some files not backed up?"

There’s more to be said but the following article includes what may not be backed up.

How to Back Up User and System Files in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/615-backup-user-system-files.html

Consider manually backing all of your files yourself in addition to depending on the system image backup you create. Don’t forget to also create a Windows 7 System Restore Disc 

However I prefer a 3rd party backup program: I use Macrium Reflect Free and I see Easeus Todo Backup Free has been mentioned which is fine. Always create their version of a system repair disc also. In Macrium Reflect it’s known as a Rescue disc.

EDIT: I still create a backup of all my files myself

On the issues of will everything be ok, fine & dandy, when you do get to upgrade, it's possible as I've seen only a couple do so; however precautions need to be taken because it's very possible something will need to be addressed which in my experience is typically the case.

For beginners, disconnect anything other than your Internet connection (I prefer to upgrade with Ethernet access), your monitor, keyboard & mouse. If you have a wireless unit such as a printer, shut it off.

Uninstall or disable your anti-malware programs has been recommended many times. This is another thing I’ve seen where in some cases it didn’t matter but certainly in some cases it did matter.

Know which applications you will still need once the upgrade is completed and have the means to reinstall them if necessary. Post back on any particular item applicable for you

Edited by cmptrgy, 27 March 2016 - 02:32 PM.

#5 Jeffers613

Jeffers613
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:19 PM

In the last few days I have seen loads of YouTube videos extolling the wonders and  virtues of w10!

However, I have also read loads of reviews from those who bitterly  regretted upgrading from w7 to w10!

So I am tempted NOT to take the free upgrade to w10 and wait and see what happens after July. Maybe MS will extend the free upgrade period?

I have no issues or problems with my w7 system  -it does everything I want. My only concern is that it will be totally unsupported after 2020 - sounds a long time away but is only around 3+ years!

Maybe the best option is to wait and  eventually buy new hardware with w10 pre-installed. I will forfeit the free upgrade -  but some who have upgraded to w10 have had so many problems which have then cost to fix - so they have then spent more than they saved on the free upgrade!

Thoughts on my proposed action would be    welcome.

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:52 PM

In the last few days I have seen loads of YouTube videos extolling the wonders and  virtues of w10!

However, I have also read loads of reviews from those who bitterly  regretted upgrading from w7 to w10!

So I am tempted NOT to take the free upgrade to w10 and wait and see what happens after July. Maybe MS will extend the free upgrade period?

I have no issues or problems with my w7 system  -it does everything I want. My only concern is that it will be totally unsupported after 2020 - sounds a long time away but is only around 3+ years!

Maybe the best option is to wait and  eventually buy new hardware with w10 pre-installed. I will forfeit the free upgrade -  but some who have upgraded to w10 have had so many problems which have then cost to fix - so they have then spent more than they saved on the free upgrade!

Thoughts on my proposed action would be    welcome.

My ten cents worth...ive just upgraded this system from 7 to 10 (Bout 4 mths ago) just to see what its like,it was a very standard 7 with no issues,10 upgrade was seamles for me and really none of the horror stories ive seen others go through with it.Ive customised it hugely since the upgrade partly to experiment,partly for security  and partly for productivety.(partly cos i cant resist fiddling);-)

Its ok...i still have a really nice 7 i use all the time...long story short i think the 7 is overall a better system...to me unless your gaming a lot win 10 just isnt that great a computer,poor design,updates are a complete nightmare

From"Why Windows 10 Su""cks"

http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

Windows 10 s""ks terribly if you are an unlucky user of a metered Internet connection:

It  features  huge  mandatory  system  and  apps  updates  (you  cannot  disable  them,  you  can  only postpone the
system reboot after their installation). A note for smug commentators: certain home users/companies use a 3G
uplink connection (for instance via a router which supports USB 3G modems), which means Windows 10 doesn't
and cannot know how it's connected to the Internet.

As if it wasn't enough, Windows 10 gets downloaded automatically if you run Windows 7 or 8.1. We are talking
about 3-6 gigabytes of data some people absolutely do not need.

It uses your free bandwidth to distribute updates to other users nearby you.

In Windows 10 certain not so old games and applications either do not work or have severe problems.

Windows 10 shows full screen ads on your lock screen.

A new shocker: Windows 10 installs apps behind your back without your approval.

Windows 10 resets your default applications to built-in Microsoft's ones after each major update.

With  Wi-Fi  sense  enabled  anyone  you  have  in  your  Skype,  Outlook  or  Hotmail  contacts  lists  —  and any of your

Facebook friends — can be granted automatic access to your Wi-Fi network as long as they're within range.

A newly created user profile weighs over 300MB (!) while containing zero (!) information about the user.

A newly created user profile is populated with all the default apps instead of giving the user a choice.

Apart from that its great :-)..So i really like my 7,its had loads of work on so it fit my audio,graphic interests..no way am i ever upgrading it to clunky monster 10

When it goes EOL ill just use it less  online and keep it (still have a great little xp that zooms allong.

If you really like that 7 and are happy with it,id keep it,maybe buy a10 to try it,even buy a 7 and upgrade it.Later you could always take it offline,upgrade it or dual boot it with Linux.

My real dislike of 10 is its design,over the top telemetry,lack of user choice (unless you massivly hack it) and the fact the update process is a nightmare.

10 is current but i still think 7 was/is a much better computer.

Just my 10 cents worth.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 29 March 2016 - 04:53 PM.

#7 Jeffers613

Jeffers613
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:34 AM

Thanks. As a non-techhie 'silver surfer' using w7 ONLY for e-mail, correspondence (Word) and web surfing (ie no games or videos and few piccies) - all of which w7 does well for me - I intend to stay with w7 - having read quite of lot of 'pro' and 'con- articles on whether or not to upgrade to w10.

If I upgraded to w10 I would not be able to deal with any problems so would have to call 'my man' in to fix - and pay!!

My only concern is what to do as 2020 draws nearer (when support for w7 will stop)? Time passes quickly! Any ideas?

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:56 AM

"If I upgraded to w10 I would not be able to deal with any problems so would have to call 'my man' in to fix - and pay!!"

I know exactly what you mean and that's the dilemma.

The "free" upgrade amounts to not being free in that case.

Consider the money and time being saved and when 2019 arrives start looking for a new computer that suits you.

By that time Windows 10 should be a mature system.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,169 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:21 AM

I say for me the transition from windows 7 to 10 was a relatively easy one, still best to backup.

The one thing that will throw you off is IE as edge is now the main browser Microsoft likes to push.

If you need IE for any reason i suggest just trying other browsers as IE for the most part is a dead horse. 

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:26 PM

I say for me the transition from windows 7 to 10 was a relatively easy one, still best to backup.

The one thing that will throw you off is IE as edge is now the main browser Microsoft likes to push.

If you need IE for any reason i suggest just trying other browsers as IE for the most part is a dead horse.

You can safely uninstall Edge if you dont like it with this aptly named file.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-edge-browser-in-windows-10/

(Its safe and doesnt cause any system instability)

Also Internet explorer is still usable on Win 10..do something like

Open Control panel.
    Click Programs, and under Programs and Features, click Turn Windows features on or off.
    In the dialog box, select the Internet Explorer 10 tick box, and click OK.
    Restart PC when prompted.

Then download a decent browser like Firefox,heh heh...only kiddin.

"Death is so boring, especially now with so much excitement in the world" - Tyrian Lannister

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

How do you know its boring,from what ive seen its quite interesting,you sort of head of for higher ground,dont have to pay taxes,see all your

long lost rellatives...on second thoughts  that,d be horrendous...forget i mentioned it.

Think ive gone off topic again...thing is he likes his elegant win7...if it aint broke..

Edited by Wolverine 7, 31 March 2016 - 06:35 PM.

#11 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:35 AM

2020 is 4 years off.  By then you'll probably want or need a new computer.  So unless you have a specific reason for Windows 10 (like buying a new PC), I believe in the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" theory.  I bought a new laptop after Christmas with 10 and it's fine, but I'm running 7 on my main desktop, and don't plan to upgrade it.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users