Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel D925xebc2 Mobo question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 patai3295

patai3295

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

its a old board obviously in the Mobo manual it says supporting OS windows xp/2000 but im thinking i can just disregard that and shouldn't have any problem installing win7. and I'm trying to find out if the board is 32/64bit so i can install the new OS accordingly.. pretty sure its 64bit any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:14 PM

It's the CPU that determines if a 64bit OS can be installed. Here is the motherboard specs. The supported processor is a Pentium 4 only some of which are 64bit compatible. In addition, you may find Windows 7 drivers for your hardware non-existent. 

Is the motherboard bare or installed in a computer minus the OS. If bare you will need to see which Pentium 4 processor you have then use this page to determine if it 32bit or 64bit.

Edit: If running less than 4GB of RAM you will not gain much going to 64bit.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 March 2016 - 01:18 PM.

#3 patai3295

patai3295
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

the mobo is installed its coming out of a Alienware Area51, my friend dropped it off to me to see if i can figure out why it wasnt turning on. figured out the graphics card was bad swapped it out with a new one that he had laying around and it booted up but then went to a Intel screen ( spalsh screen? ) and would just stall there..so ive been trying to diagnose his hardware to see where the problem is coming from, im guessing its a intel hardware problem cause of that intel screen that its getting caught on.. the Mobo is intel and obviously CPU ( SL724 couldnt find it on ur website u linked btw ) i took apart the heatsink off the CPU and noticed it was completly bare no thermal paste at all.. but didnt notice any burn marks or anything.. sooo.....idk im kind of stuck not sure where to turn now. its gatta be a bad MOBO

Attached File  12512226_10156714829610603_8485454287837938638_n.jpg   69.78KB   1 downloads

Edited by patai3295, 26 March 2016 - 02:21 PM.

#4 patai3295

patai3295
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

the HDD does have a BSOD when i tried to hook it up to another computer to test it.. trying to reinstall a fresh windows over it but just wasnt sure if i should with win 7 32/64 bit or go with windows xp

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:58 PM

There is a good chance you would get a BSOD when trying to boot a hard drive with Windows on a computer with different hardware. I am surprised the Alienware 51 had a motherboard that old. The computer is like the one in my Alienware 51 link? If so then somebody switched out motherboards if yours is indeed a D935xebc2

I would do the following. Clean off the CPU and heatsink and apply thermal paste. Attach the hard drive back into the computer. Download a linux iso like Ubuntu or Mint. Start with 32bit. How much RAM is on the computer? Anything over 1 GB should run linux fine.

I am pretty sure Windows 7 is too much for a Pentium 4. Go with XP if you want a Windows OS but as you know security updates are no longer available for XP. Ubuntu may even be too much. 

https://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=25

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

Edit: Here the SL724 page. According to Wiki and intel the processor is 32bit. You may be able to run Windows 7 32bit. Mint and Ubuntu would run well if there is over 1GB of RAM.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 March 2016 - 03:08 PM.

#6 patai3295

patai3295
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:22 PM

yeah well for whatever reason im not sure somebody before me replaced the MOBO to this one that im talking about.. so they must of forgot to put the thermal paste.. anyways yeah i was reading something about a Linux live cd which only runs off of RAM or CD which would give me a certain idea if the MOBO is definitely bad  ? i havent done that much research into that yet so ... but i can try what u said the computer has 4 gigs of ram. so whats the goal of doing the linux install.. like what is that going to solve?

heres the BSOD error i was getting

Attached File  BSOD.jpg   89.67KB   0 downloads

and this is the Area51

Attached File  Area51.jpg   123.39KB   0 downloads

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:39 PM

Running a live linux disk would tell you if the motherboard is okay as you say. Installing it would tell you if the hard drive was good but that can be done using Parted Magic which is a smaller download then either Mint or Ubuntu.

Burn the iso and boot Parted Maqic. DoubleClick Disk Health on the Desktop and do the short/long tests. You can also do a RAM test using Parted Magic. At the first boot screen select "Extra Menus" > Memtest86+. Run for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight to verify the RAM is also good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users