Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Update Problematic

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bob655

bob655

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

I updated Firefox a few days ago and have had nothing but troubles:

My tabs are not being kept open from session to session.  I have checked it as a preference on FF (Tools/Options/General)  and in the config: sys ("3" is checked).

The menu bar (3 line at upper right) is non-responsive; most options greyed out.

Cannot "bookmark all tabs".  A box comes up with "enter" at bottom but not a place to enter information/title of bookmark group.

Dashlane not in tool bar but have am working with them separately.

1) Can I roll back firefox?  Updated to FF 45.0.1.  Was forcibly upgraded to Window 10.  On Dell PC.

2) Mozilla told me to update graphics drivers and/or disable extensions.  All are up to date and no problems in past.

3) Also said something about Hardware Acceleration?  Don't want to mess around with that if I don't have to.

Thanks for any and all help!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

It sounds like something in FF has gotten corrupted.  I'm running FF 45.0.1 under Windows 10 and am not seeing any of the problems you mention, so I think the simplest thing to do would be just to save your bookmarks, then uninstall and reinstall FF.  Other things you might try would be to run SFC and you could try System Restore to a point prior to the beginning of the problem.  You could also check your Downloads folder to see if you might have a stub for downloading an earlier version if that's really what you want to do.  To run SFC, open an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  That will scan for any corrupt files and attempt to repair them.

FWIW I couldn't figure out what you meant by "I have checked it as a preference on FF (Tools/Options/General)  and in the config: sys ("3" is checked)."  I don't see anything in Tools/Options like that.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

Hi:

In addition to the advice by @Niweg...

It probably won't "hurt" to rollback the system or to run SFC. But if your problem is only with Firefox, that might be a bit of overkill

Most problems with Firefox originate in the user's profile, not the program itself.
So, rolling back to an earlier version (bad idea -- usually causes problems, does not fix them) or reinstalling the program often will not fix performance issues.

There are some standard diagnostic/debugging steps to help to isolate the issue. They range from non-destructive (Safe Mode, new test profile) to more invasive (reset/refresh) to bridge-burning (clean uninstall, including profile data).

Have you tried standard Firefox diagnostics, such as Mozilla Safe Mode (not the same thing as Windows Safe Mode), disabling hardware acceleration, or a new test profile?

Here are some tutorials and links:

Standard diagnostics
Safe Mode
Creating a new profile
Profile manager
Other Fx support

And it's always a good idea to back up one's profile (or at least critical data from it, such as bookmarks) before making major changes.

Please let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

Thanks,

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users