Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Partitions (Activating without deleting data) ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Darryl579

Darryl579

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:29 AM

HI everyone

I have a bit of a problem, that I am hoping someone can provide help on if there is a fix for this.

Recently,my external hard drive stopped working, and after taking it out of the case and installing in to the PC to test, spin up is fine and no clicking (thumbs up).

The hard drive is a 4TB, and so far it has 3.7TB of data that I have been keeping all my stuff backed up on, which I am nervous about loosing (as you can imagine). 

Is there a way of activating the unallocated partitions (see image) without loosing the data on the hard drive, or converting the disk back to something that's recognised by the pc again (perhaps, Basic back to Dynamic?)

Any help, suggestions or links to software fixes would be hugely appreciated 

Cheers
Darry

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:24 PM

The one partition is marked RAW which indicates the file partition table is corrupted. Did the drive originally have one partition and not three?

Try the following. Download and install Partition Wizard. Select Partition Recovery and do a Full Disk/Quick Scan. On every partition if finds double click the partition. Do you see your files? If doing a Quick Scan does not find a partition with files then do a Full Scan. On a 4TB drive this will take a long time.

You need to make sure all your files are listed any partition found. If the drive originally had one partition and one partition is detected with all of your files check the box next to the partition and only that partition. Then Finish, then Apply. If you do not see all of your files then do not click apply. Back out of the program. 

If no partitions are detected on either Quick or Full that shows your files on a double click post back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users