Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open .htm file

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Uudij

Uudij

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:29 AM

Hi all,

First time poster here. I have an issue regarding a large .htm file that crashes every time I attempt to access it. I have recently downloaded a copy of my Facebook Archive for an account that I have had for over five years. During this time I have sent thousands of messages on the account and in theory, these should be backed up as part of the Archive. The archive is downloaded as a compressed folder, and inside the folder there are .htm files corresponding to each part of the account (i.e. timeline, messages, etc.).

However, whenever I try to access this Messages file, it crashes any application attempting to open it including Chrome, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Word. The file is about 73 MB in size and is a .htm file that is scripted as such. It can be opened in applications such as Notepad ++, however it only displays the file as code and not in its final form. I believe the only way I can view it properly is through a browser such as Chrome. The file crashes Internet Explorer, and although Chrome attempts to open it, it only gets so far before it stops loading the page (i.e. it'll view okay, and then just display a blank page).

Therefore, I am wondering what I can do to access the view the file properly, or whether due to the size of it, this won't be possible.

Thank you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:12 AM

Could you post the file so that we could view it? If it is crashing due to size, you could try making a copy that has HTML comments (anything between <-- and --/>, IIRC) stripped out.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Uudij

Uudij
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

Could you post the file so that we could view it? If it is crashing due to size, you could try making a copy that has HTML comments (anything between <-- and --/>, IIRC) stripped out.

Hi,

Unfortunately I do not feel comfortable doing this, as the file contains a number of private and personal conversations. 

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:38 AM

True, didn't think of that. Do you get any specific errors when attempting to open it, or did the browser just crash/hang?

#5 Uudij

Uudij
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

True, didn't think of that. Do you get any specific errors when attempting to open it, or did the browser just crash/hang?

No specific errors, it just crashes/hangs. 

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

Could you try splitting the file into smaller pieces and viewing each piece separately? Remember to close any tags left open by the split.

#7 Uudij

Uudij
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

Could you try splitting the file into smaller pieces and viewing each piece separately? Remember to close any tags left open by the split.

Possibly, how would I be able to do this?

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

1. Make a backup copy just in case.
2. HTML tags are in the format <tag>(info)</tag>. The first part in <>s is called an opening tag. The second part, with the slash, is called a close tag.
3. Cut and paste chunks of text between the <body> tags into other notepad++ windows. Make sure to copy everything from the beginning of the file to the first <body> tag into the new files as well (the document won't show up properly if you leave out the header info). If you see any open tags without close tags, add close tags for them in reverse order that they appear. Example:

(insert header here)
<div class="post">
<p>
(Big block of text here)
</p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

In the example above, everything bolded would be what you would add, based on what you copied. If you know how BBCode works, HTML will be easy to grasp as it's very similar.

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:16 PM

If I'm not making any sense, I could use a real-life example. Just let me know.

#10 Uudij

Uudij
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

If I'm not making any sense, I could use a real-life example. Just let me know.

I've managed to split the files up and create a second file with the rest of the messages. This seems to have worked, so it must have been an issue with the size of the file. I'm not sure. 

#11 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:34 PM

I wondered if that would be the case. Most webpages aren't that big, so I wondered if a giant file might make the browser balk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users