Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 100% Disk Usage Problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Marvelous23

Marvelous23

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:50 AM

Hello. I'm having the somewhat common 100% disk usage issue, which grinds my computer to a halt. I reinstalled windows about a month ago due to this, and it was fairly stable up until about a week ago, when it reappeared with a vengeance.

Previously I had disabled superfetch and prefetch, which didn't help (I have those running currently). I have also run sfc and checked the health of the drive with SeaTools, which reports no errors. When this is occurring and I check resource monitor, there is nothing constant causing the issue, though system32/config/drivers is often on top. In task manager, system is the culprit, although it is usually only using 0.1 MB or less.

However, when I check event viewer, it is constantly throwing errors: Event ID 153, The IO operation at logical block address 7a for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\0000002c) was retried. This address seems to be having some serious problems, but sometimes it is at different block addresses. Error logs also show that dam and UsbCharger never load at startup.

I recently increased the virtual memory size to twice my RAM, and this has helped with startup - I can use the computer after about 5 minutes or so. Once, it took an hour before the disk usage settled down and was usable. In a new wrinkle, the disk usage now spikes and causes hangs when opening programs of any type (except oddly, browser), even command prompt. It will also start doing this after leaving the computer unattended for several minutes.This is seriously driving me crazy and any help would be massively appreciated!

I have Windows 8.1 (NO update 1), 64 bit

AMD FX processor 3.5 GHz

16 GB Ram

1TB hybrid SSd drive, seagate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

Seagate drives have had high failure rates the last couple of years.  I'd Chkdsk and let it check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors.  After that I'd download disk diagnostics from the Seagate web site and run them.  One way to speed things up would be to put Windows on an SSD.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

Which SeaTools diagnostic tool did you run,  SeaTools for DOS or SeaTools for Windows?

Have you run any other diagnostic tools other than sfc /scannow?

If you elect to run chksdk as suggested by Niweg you need to keep in mind that you should not run the /r switch since you have a SSD.  You should only run the chkdsk /f.

With 16GB of RAM you shouldn't need to increase your virtual memory.  Unless there is a problem with your RAM modules.  You could run Memtest86 to see if there is a problem with the RAM.

When you did the last installation did you reinstall data saved from the previous installation?

Having these problem this soon after a fresh installation makes me suspicious of malware.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:49 AM

1.  I'd Chkdsk and let it check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors.  

2.  After that I'd download disk diagnostics from the Seagate web site and run them.

3.  One way to speed things up would be to put Windows on an SSD.

1.  You did not notice that Marvelous23 had a SSD installed.  If you had you should have told them to run chkdsk /f and not to use the /r switch on a SSD.

2.  I have also run sfc and checked the health of the drive with SeaTools, which reports no errors. 

3.  I have Windows 8.1 (NO update 1), 64 bit

AMD FX processor 3.5 GHz

16 GB Ram

1TB hybrid SSd drive, seagate

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Marvelous23

Marvelous23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:30 AM

Thanks so much for the reply!

I ran SeaTools for Windows, and did all the short tests. I have done sfc and chkdisk (previous install), but I don't remember which switch I used, I think it was /r and /f actually. I also ran DISM /checkhealth and that was clear.

I haven't run Memtest86, but I probably should! And when I did the reinstall, it was clean, wiped the partition and everything. Although this was surprisingly fast, it was just gone instantly, unless if it was formatting during the install procedure. I was also worried about possible malware infection, but running Malwarebytes showed things as fine on that front, too.

Here is the Speccy log: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vnxn00A0wKasnfGXnfnM76u

And here is the MiniToolbox report: (I notice it doesn't show all these disk errors, apparently they are just warnings. But they show up when opening programs, and when PC is idle)

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 07-02-2016 01
Ran by Jennifer (administrator) on 28-03-2016 at 07:24:53
Running from "C:\Users\Jennifer\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 8.1  (X64)
Model: To be filled by O.E.M. Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (03/28/2016 07:22:36 AM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Windows cannot access the file C:\Users\Jennifer\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\Ontology.dll for one of the following reasons:
there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage
drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing.
Windows closed the program NVIDIA Backend because of this error.

Program: NVIDIA Backend
File: C:\Users\Jennifer\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\Ontology.dll

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again.
This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
If the file still cannot be accessed and
    - It is on the network,
your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
    - It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for
further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: C0000185
Disk type: 3

Error: (03/28/2016 07:22:36 AM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: NvBackend.exe, version: 20.14.20.0, time stamp: 0x56af2e28
Faulting module name: Ontology.dll, version: 26.1.1.0, time stamp: 0x56c60a59
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x00064290
Faulting process id: 0x1ab8
Faulting application start time: 0xNvBackend.exe0
Faulting application path: NvBackend.exe1
Faulting module path: NvBackend.exe2
Report Id: NvBackend.exe3
Faulting package full name: NvBackend.exe4
Faulting package-relative application ID: NvBackend.exe5

Error: (03/28/2016 07:02:07 AM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Windows cannot access the file C:\Users\Jennifer\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\Ontology.dll for one of the following reasons:
there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage

File: C:\Users\Jennifer\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\Ontology.dll

User Action
1. Open the file again.
This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
    - It is on the network,
your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
    - It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for
further assistance.

Additional Data

Error: (03/28/2016 07:02:07 AM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: NvBackend.exe, version: 20.14.20.0, time stamp: 0x56af2e28
Faulting process id: 0x1b14

Error: (03/28/2016 06:47:51 AM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Windows cannot access the file C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgCx_SC1.db.trx for one of the following reasons:
Windows closed the program Host Process for Windows Services because of this error.

Program: Host Process for Windows Services
File: C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgCx_SC1.db.trx

User Action
1. Open the file again.
    - It is on the network,
further assistance.

Additional Data

Error: (03/28/2016 06:47:51 AM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: svchost.exe_SysMain, version: 6.3.9600.16384, time stamp: 0x5215dfe3
Faulting module name: sysmain.dll, version: 6.3.9600.16384, time stamp: 0x5215e031
Fault offset: 0x00000000000aa079
Faulting process id: 0xb38
Faulting application start time: 0xsvchost.exe_SysMain0
Faulting application path: svchost.exe_SysMain1
Faulting module path: svchost.exe_SysMain2
Report Id: svchost.exe_SysMain3
Faulting package full name: svchost.exe_SysMain4
Faulting package-relative application ID: svchost.exe_SysMain5

Error: (03/28/2016 06:47:29 AM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )

User Action
1. Open the file again.
    - It is on the network,
further assistance.

Additional Data

Error: (03/28/2016 06:47:29 AM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Faulting process id: 0xe0c

Error: (03/27/2016 06:02:59 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )

User Action
1. Open the file again.
    - It is on the network,
further assistance.

Additional Data

Error: (03/27/2016 06:02:59 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Faulting process id: 0x1590

System errors:
=============
Error: (03/28/2016 06:51:54 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the WLAN AutoConfig service, but this action failed with the following error:
%%1056

Error: (03/28/2016 06:50:54 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Device Association Service service, but this action failed with the following error:
%%1056

Error: (03/28/2016 06:49:54 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The WLAN AutoConfig service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Description: The Distributed Link Tracking Client service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Description: The Superfetch service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Description: The Program Compatibility Assistant Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Description: The Network Connections service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 100 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Description: The Network Connection Broker service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 5000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Description: The HomeGroup Listener service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Description: The Human Interface Device Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (03/28/2016 07:22:36 AM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: C:\Users\Jennifer\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\Ontology.dllNVIDIA BackendC00001853

Error: (03/28/2016 07:22:36 AM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: NvBackend.exe20.14.20.056af2e28Ontology.dll26.1.1.056c60a59c0000006000642901ab801d188e3e231b8f6C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Update Core\NvBackend.exeC:\Users\Jennifer\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\Ontology.dll5f1624e2-f4d7-11e5-8266-fcaa145c4d60

Error: (03/28/2016 07:02:07 AM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: C:\Users\Jennifer\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\Ontology.dllNVIDIA BackendC00001853

Error: (03/28/2016 07:02:07 AM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: NvBackend.exe20.14.20.056af2e28Ontology.dll26.1.1.056c60a59c0000006000642901b1401d188e10466ada6C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Update Core\NvBackend.exeC:\Users\Jennifer\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\Ontology.dll82cfb931-f4d4-11e5-8266-fcaa145c4d60

Error: (03/28/2016 06:47:51 AM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgCx_SC1.db.trxHost Process for Windows ServicesC00001853

Error: (03/28/2016 06:47:51 AM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: svchost.exe_SysMain6.3.9600.163845215dfe3sysmain.dll6.3.9600.163845215e031c000000600000000000aa079b3801d1880e5d692bf5C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exec:\windows\system32\sysmain.dll849e2a8f-f4d2-11e5-8266-fcaa145c4d60

Error: (03/28/2016 06:47:29 AM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )

Error: (03/28/2016 06:47:29 AM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: NvBackend.exe20.14.20.056af2e28Ontology.dll26.1.1.056c60a59c000000600064290e0c01d188deb4792a59C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Update Core\NvBackend.exeC:\Users\Jennifer\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\Ontology.dll7729181e-f4d2-11e5-8266-fcaa145c4d60

Error: (03/27/2016 06:02:59 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )

Error: (03/27/2016 06:02:59 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: NvBackend.exe20.14.20.056af2e28Ontology.dll26.1.1.056c60a59c000000600064290159001d18873e852701dC:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Update Core\NvBackend.exeC:\Users\Jennifer\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\Ontology.dllaa842007-f467-11e5-8266-fcaa145c4d60

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

60 Seconds! (HKLM-x32\...\Steam App 368360) (Version:  - Robot Gentleman)
7-Zip 15.14 (x64) (HKLM\...\7-Zip) (Version: 15.14 - Igor Pavlov)
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (HKLM-x32\...\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AC0F074E4100}) (Version: 15.010.20060 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
AMD Install Manager (HKLM\...\AMD Catalyst Install Manager) (Version: 5.00 - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)
Banished (HKLM-x32\...\Steam App 242920) (Version:  - Shining Rock Software LLC)
Canon MF Toolbox 4.9.1.1.mf14 (HKLM-x32\...\{6767DFEE-8909-453A-B553-C7693912B2EB}) (Version: 4.9.1.1.mf14 - CANON INC.)
Canon MF4800 Series (HKLM\...\{444085BE-389B-4330-A291-3FC258B846EC}) (Version: 4.1.0.1 - CANON INC.)
Corsair Utility Engine (HKLM-x32\...\{68AA0FFC-4EAC-4C7D-8859-2DF65A566A01}) (Version: 1.15.36 - Corsair)
Dying Light (HKLM-x32\...\Steam App 239140) (Version:  - Techland)
Fallout 4 (HKLM-x32\...\Steam App 377160) (Version:  - Bethesda Game Studios)
Google Chrome (HKLM-x32\...\Google Chrome) (Version: 49.0.2623.87 - Google Inc.)
Google Update Helper (HKLM-x32\...\{60EC980A-BDA2-4CB6-A427-B07A5498B4CA}) (Version: 1.3.29.5 - Google Inc.) Hidden
Google Update Helper (HKLM-x32\...\{A92DAB39-4E2C-4304-9AB6-BC44E68B55E2}) (Version: 1.3.21.115 - Google Inc.) Hidden
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.2.1.1043 (HKLM-x32\...\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware_is1) (Version: 2.2.1.1043 - Malwarebytes)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (HKLM-x32\...\{7299052b-02a4-4627-81f2-1818da5d550d}) (Version: 8.0.56336 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 (HKLM\...\{5FCE6D76-F5DC-37AB-B2B8-22AB8CEDB1D4}) (Version: 9.0.30729.6161 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (HKLM-x32\...\{9BE518E6-ECC6-35A9-88E4-87755C07200F}) (Version: 9.0.30729.6161 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (HKLM\...\{1D8E6291-B0D5-35EC-8441-6616F567A0F7}) (Version: 10.0.40219 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (HKLM-x32\...\{F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5}) (Version: 10.0.40219 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.50727 (HKLM-x32\...\{15134cb0-b767-4960-a911-f2d16ae54797}) (Version: 11.0.50727.1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.50727 (HKLM-x32\...\{22154f09-719a-4619-bb71-5b3356999fbf}) (Version: 11.0.50727.1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x64) - 12.0.30501 (HKLM-x32\...\{050d4fc8-5d48-4b8f-8972-47c82c46020f}) (Version: 12.0.30501.0 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) - 12.0.21005 (HKLM-x32\...\{ce085a78-074e-4823-8dc1-8a721b94b76d}) (Version: 12.0.21005.1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) - 12.0.30501 (HKLM-x32\...\{f65db027-aff3-4070-886a-0d87064aabb1}) (Version: 12.0.30501.0 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft WSE 3.0 Runtime (HKLM-x32\...\{E3E71D07-CD27-46CB-8448-16D4FB29AA13}) (Version: 3.0.5305.0 - Microsoft Corp.)
Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 Refresh (HKLM-x32\...\{D69C8EDE-BBC5-436B-8E0E-C5A6D311CF4F}) (Version: 4.0.30901.0 - Microsoft Corporation)
Mozilla Firefox 45.0.1 (x86 en-US) (HKLM-x32\...\Mozilla Firefox 45.0.1 (x86 en-US)) (Version: 45.0.1 - Mozilla)
Mozilla Maintenance Service (HKLM-x32\...\MozillaMaintenanceService) (Version: 45.0.1.5918 - Mozilla)
Mozilla Thunderbird 38.6.0 (x86 en-US) (HKLM-x32\...\Mozilla Thunderbird 38.6.0 (x86 en-US)) (Version: 38.6.0 - Mozilla)
NETGEAR A6210 Genie (HKLM-x32\...\{200F4AEE-982C-48EA-AC85-EF36FEB662C2}) (Version: 1.0.0.34 - NETGEAR) Hidden
NETGEAR A6210 Genie (HKLM-x32\...\InstallShield_{200F4AEE-982C-48EA-AC85-EF36FEB662C2}) (Version: 1.0.0.34 - NETGEAR)
NVIDIA 3D Vision Controller Driver 352.65 (HKLM\...\{B2FE1952-0186-46C3-BAEC-A80AA35AC5B8}_Display.NVIRUSB) (Version: 352.65 - NVIDIA Corporation)
NVIDIA 3D Vision Driver 361.91 (HKLM\...\{B2FE1952-0186-46C3-BAEC-A80AA35AC5B8}_Display.3DVision) (Version: 361.91 - NVIDIA Corporation)
NVIDIA GeForce Experience 2.10.2.40 (HKLM\...\{B2FE1952-0186-46C3-BAEC-A80AA35AC5B8}_Display.GFExperience) (Version: 2.10.2.40 - NVIDIA Corporation)
NVIDIA Graphics Driver 361.91 (HKLM\...\{B2FE1952-0186-46C3-BAEC-A80AA35AC5B8}_Display.Driver) (Version: 361.91 - NVIDIA Corporation)
NVIDIA PhysX System Software 9.15.0428 (HKLM\...\{B2FE1952-0186-46C3-BAEC-A80AA35AC5B8}_Display.PhysX) (Version: 9.15.0428 - NVIDIA Corporation)
ON_OFF Charge 2 B13.1028.1 (HKLM-x32\...\{6B4ED6F7-BB88-4945-B0C6-01410E1BAC3A}) (Version: 1.00.0000 - GIGABYTE) Hidden
ON_OFF Charge 2 B13.1028.1 (HKLM-x32\...\InstallShield_{6B4ED6F7-BB88-4945-B0C6-01410E1BAC3A}) (Version: 1.00.0000 - GIGABYTE)
OpenOffice 4.1.2 (HKLM-x32\...\{E6AD67BB-1C33-4AB3-A387-E0D48137AB70}) (Version: 4.12.9782 - Apache Software Foundation)
Platform (HKLM-x32\...\{20D4A895-748C-4D88-871C-FDB1695B0169}) (Version: 1.42 - VIA Technologies, Inc.) Hidden
Prison Architect (HKLM-x32\...\Steam App 233450) (Version:  - Introversion Software)
Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver (HKLM-x32\...\{8833FFB6-5B0C-4764-81AA-06DFEED9A476}) (Version: 8.34.617.2014 - Realtek)
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (HKLM-x32\...\{F132AF7F-7BCA-4EDE-8A7C-958108FE7DBC}) (Version: 6.0.1.7266 - Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)
SeaTools for Windows 1.4.0.4 (HKLM-x32\...\SeaTools for Windows) (Version: 1.4.0.4 - Seagate Technology)
Sheltered (HKLM-x32\...\Steam App 356040) (Version:  - Unicube)
SHIELD Streaming (HKLM\...\{B2FE1952-0186-46C3-BAEC-A80AA35AC5B8}_GFExperience.NvStreamSrv) (Version: 5.1.0270 - NVIDIA Corporation) Hidden
SHIELD Wireless Controller Driver (HKLM\...\{B2FE1952-0186-46C3-BAEC-A80AA35AC5B8}_ShieldWirelessController) (Version: 2.10.2.40 - NVIDIA Corporation) Hidden
Stardew Valley (HKLM-x32\...\Steam App 413150) (Version:  - ConcernedApe)
Steam (HKLM-x32\...\Steam) (Version: 2.10.91.91 - Valve Corporation)
Tales from the Borderlands (HKLM-x32\...\Steam App 330830) (Version:  - Telltale Games)
The Long Dark (HKLM-x32\...\Steam App 305620) (Version:  - Hinterland Studio Inc.)
The Sims™ 3 (HKLM-x32\...\{C05D8CDB-417D-4335-A38C-A0659EDFD6B8}) (Version: 1.67.2 - Electronic Arts)
The Sims™ 3 Ambitions (HKLM-x32\...\{910F4A29-1134-49E0-AD8B-56E4A3152BD1}) (Version: 4.10.1 - Electronic Arts)
The Sims™ 3 Generations (HKLM-x32\...\{E6B88BD6-E4B2-4701-A648-B6DAC6E491CC}) (Version: 8.0.152 - Electronic Arts)
The Sims™ 3 Into the Future (HKLM-x32\...\{A0BBD6C7-B546-4048-B33A-F21F5C9F5B09}) (Version: 21.0.150 - Electronic Arts)
The Sims™ 3 Island Paradise (HKLM-x32\...\{DB21639E-FE55-432C-BCA2-0C5249E3F79E}) (Version: 19.0.101 - Electronic Arts)
The Sims™ 3 Late Night (HKLM-x32\...\{45057FCE-5784-48BE-8176-D9D00AF56C3C}) (Version: 6.5.1 - Electronic Arts)
The Sims™ 3 Outdoor Living Stuff (HKLM-x32\...\{117B6BF6-82C3-420C-B284-9247C8568E53}) (Version: 7.3.2 - Electronic Arts)
The Sims™ 3 Pets (HKLM-x32\...\{C12631C6-804D-4B32-B0DD-8A496462F106}) (Version: 10.0.96 - Electronic Arts)
The Sims™ 3 Seasons (HKLM-x32\...\{3DE92282-CB49-434F-81BF-94E5B380E889}) (Version: 16.0.136 - Electronic Arts)
The Sims™ 3 Showtime (HKLM-x32\...\{3BBFD444-5FAB-49F6-98B1-A1954E831399}) (Version: 12.0.273 - Electronic Arts)
The Sims™ 3 Supernatural (HKLM-x32\...\{B37DAFA5-717D-41F8-BDFB-3A4B68C0B3A1}) (Version: 15.0.135 - Electronic Arts)
The Sims™ 3 University Life (HKLM-x32\...\{F26DE8EF-F2CF-40DC-8CDA-CC0D82D11B36}) (Version: 18.0.126 - Electronic Arts)
The Sims™ 3 World Adventures (HKLM-x32\...\{BA26FFA5-6D47-47DB-BE56-34C357B5F8CC}) (Version: 2.17.2 - Electronic Arts)
The Talos Principle (HKLM\...\Steam App 257510) (Version:  - Croteam)
Tropico 5 (HKLM-x32\...\Steam App 245620) (Version:  - Haemimont Games)
VIA Platform Device Manager (HKLM-x32\...\InstallShield_{20D4A895-748C-4D88-871C-FDB1695B0169}) (Version: 1.42 - VIA Technologies, Inc.)

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 9%
Total physical RAM: 16350.67 MB
Available physical RAM: 14724.7 MB
Total Virtual: 32734.67 MB
Available Virtual: 30684.73 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:931 GB) (Free:726.89 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\JEN-PC

Administrator            Guest                    Jennifer                 

========================= Minidump Files ==================================

C:\Windows\Minidump\021616-12265-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\030616-23156-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\030716-12046-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\032316-14250-01.dmp

**** End of log ****

Edited by Marvelous23, 28 March 2016 - 06:32 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

It looks like you may have a problem with your hdd.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:01 PM

- Yep, your HD is failing. SMART attributes 05, c5 & c6 are no longer at zero. Your HD is actually giving a "Warning". Run GSmartControl for a confirmation of that. How many red(-ish) lines show up ?

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Downloads

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

#8 Marvelous23

Marvelous23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

Oh no. I just ran the long generic test in SeaTools, and sure enough, it failed. :( Weird, cos the short test indicated it was fine. SeaTools Test Code: F0AAE1D1

I downloaded GSmartControl but haven't run it yet, I'll report back.

Edit:

Ran a 2nd long generic test in SeaTools.The first failed very quickly (and of course disk usage was at 100% since I opened a program), however, the second test ran for 2 hours without any indication that it was doing anything - progress bar remained at 0%. So, thats rather inconclusive.

The GSmartControl passed the overall health self-assessment check (under identity tab). There were three pink bars under attributes: reallocated sector count was listed as pre-failure. Current pending sector count and offline uncorrectable were listed as old age. The error log showed uncorrectable error in data.

Does this indicate HD failure? What should I do now?

Edited by Marvelous23, 28 March 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:29 AM

1.  I'd Chkdsk and let it check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors.  

2.  After that I'd download disk diagnostics from the Seagate web site and run them.

3.  One way to speed things up would be to put Windows on an SSD.

1.  You did not notice that Marvelous23 had a SSD installed.  If you had you should have told them to run chkdsk /f and not to use the /r switch on a SSD.

Actually I did notice, but it's a hybird, not a normal SSD, meaning that it has an actual hard disk integrated with the SSD.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:49 AM

SSD hybrid drives use the SSD portion as a cache to hold regularly accessed data.  Because of this you should not run the chkdsk /r.

Edit:  While we are on the subject of hdd/ssd maintenance I will also address defragging.  You should never defrag a ssd. 

Edited by dc3, 29 March 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#11 Marvelous23

Marvelous23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:56 AM

So does that mean I should run chkdsk? I'm still unsure what the results of the various tests mean. Is my HD failing?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:13 AM

Your hdd failed the SeaTools for Windows long test.  It's time to copy all of you important data to removable media, such as an external hdd, flash drive, cloud account, etc.

I would suggest now using the computer any more than necessary to collect your important data.  This computer could still run for a while, then again it could fail completely at any time.

#13 Marvelous23

Marvelous23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

Okay thanks for all your help! :) I was really hoping it was something fixable, lol. But luckily still under warranty and I have a WD drive to replace it on the way....hope its more reliable than Seagate.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

After you've backup your data at least once if not twice onto external media, consider wiping the hard-drive that will be going back to the factory.  Not that they would try to pry, it's that once in a blue moon a returned hard-drive does not get wiped and gets sent back out to another customer, yes it's very very rare, but not impossible.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 March 2016 - 03:03 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

Unless there is confidential information on the hdd that you don't wish to share I would't bother with wiping the drive.  As for the hdd being reinstalled in another customer's computer.  I've never heard anything remotely close to this happening.  OEM manufacturers are out there to make money.  If they take any extra step it would be to check to make sure the drive has failed.  It's cheaper to simply pull the old hdd, install a new one and install the operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users