Running into a strange issue that seems to orient to a family of infections that seem to behave like the win32 shutdowner trojan.
I thought I was maybe having a hardware issue (and it still might be that but I had run Sea Tools from a suggestion the hardware forum and the drive passed). I'm running Windows Vista on a Dell XPS 410 desktop. I usually leave the computer alone and it goes into sleep mode and then by moving the mouse, I activate the screen. I came back two weeks ago and the system was off, so I had started it and the fan started accelerating and the screen wouldn't come on. I cold booted it and it didn't accelerate and the system booted up. I then noticed that intermittently, I would be working on the computer and it would suddenly either crash, reboot or set up a blue screen with an error message that moved past too fast to read but I did see something about a fatal error. Sometimes, I would be working and the system wouldn't crash but Firefox would.
I noticed that MacAffee had quarantined an infection and my problems had happened about that time. I ran a thorough scan afterwards and no infections showed up. Today, i had noticed that MacAffee updates were stuck at 68% and the little loading icon kept turning but nothing else had happened so I had called MacAffee and they had fixed that problem.
However, Firefox just crashed again. I then looked online for a possible cause and the win32shutdowner trojan was blamed for shutting down systems or causing the fan to accelerate because the BIOS wasn't engaged first. Now I had asked Macaffee about that and was surprised to learn that they don't have that trojan in their database.
I'm reading that that trojan is a nasty piece of work because it hides and that you have to remove registry files to eliminate it. I'm not saying I am infected with it but if the Sea Tools, passed my hard drive, then I thought that maybe my registry was corrected or I have an infection in my system that MacAffee doesn't recognize.
So I'm not sure if it or something in it's family has invaded my system because MacAffee doesn't have it in their database.
One other thing; I did restore my system to a restore point a month before all this nonsense had happened but the problem persists.