Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GOM Player Installing Malware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gutterboy

gutterboy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:59 AM

This used to be my go to player, has been for about 8 years; however over the last several months it has gradually gotten worse and worse.

Upon installing the latest version there seemed to be no way out of it installing Chromium browser and changing a bunch of my browser settings to Bing - I went back without agreeing to this and then went forward again - the option for this page didn't appear again, but now I have noticed my browser settings have been changed.

I went into my programs (I'm using Windows 7) and removed "Bing search provider" or something like that, reopened my browser (Firefox) but when I do a search at the top right of my browser it automatically uses Bing now rather than Google. Also, when I highlight a word in a page and right click it now has "Search search provided by Bing for "search term"".

I'm not even sure what the Chromium browser is or if it was installed and why it was asking to install it (if it's related to Google Chrome I'm not sure why Google would need to use Malware/Adware products to promote it seeing as Chrome is by far the most used browser already); FTR I already have the standard Chrome browser installed.

Please advise.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:32 AM

The bundling of legit and junk software is a common practice by legitimate vendors (and some folks actually like the bundled offers). Anti-virus and security vendors also bundle toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure and revenue generator. When a vendor includes an add-on such as a toolbar, they do so as a way to "pay per install" and recoup associated business costs. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads and is typically the reason for the pre-checked option...see Third-Party Bundling.

GOM Player has been bundling software for years and the vendor was placed on the Installers Hall of Shame list for doing so.I removed GOM Player a while back and replaced it with Daum PotPlayer which I found to be better and it does not come with bundled software..

Chromium (web browser) is the open-source web browser project from which Google Chrome draws its source code.
What’s the Difference Between Chromium and Chrome?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 gutterboy

gutterboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for your post. I have no issues with bundled software with free software, but when they make it near impossible to deselect the offer that's when it gets annoying.

I have now restored my search settings so hopefully I don't have any other nasty surprises lying around anywhere.

Also, thanks for the suggestion for the new media player - that's actually the one I was looking at myself too :)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:24 AM

You're welcome.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for your post. I have no issues with bundled software with free software, but when they make it near impossible to deselect the offer that's when it gets annoying.

I have now restored my search settings so hopefully I don't have any other nasty surprises lying around anywhere.

Also, thanks for the suggestion for the new media player - that's actually the one I was looking at myself too :)

portableapps.com  makes available some media players, if you are comfortable with portable programs.  You can find at least three media players there.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:33 AM

Media Player Alteratives