Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant get descriptions of programs for 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrb5162

mrb5162

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:00 AM

I am running 8.1 on a Toshiba pc and am having constant 100% disk usage. There were a few programs running very high but I didn't know what they were and how important they are to the system. When I looked them up the only descriptions I could find refer to them as windows vista files.So why would they be running on a Windows 8.1 computer using so much disk space? Examples would be dwm.exe, wlanext.exe.  Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:40 AM

Open the Task Manager, click on the Processes tab and see which processes are using the most resources and post back with your findings.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mrb5162

mrb5162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

Open the Task Manager, click on the Processes tab and see which processes are using the most resources and post back with your findings.

nsbu.exe (norton security with backup; backup is set to manual) 98% +/_

ntoskrnl.exe 69% +/_

chrome.exe 38% +/- (The app as opposed to the background process)

Com Surrogate dllhost.exe 0%-60%

Windows Module Installer Worker 14% when the disk is running 14%

The disk goes from 0% and up to 100% and back down variably.

here are some fun facts I don't understand:

There are 71 processes running. Of those 52 are background processes, 31 backround processes are Google Chrome- currently I have 7 tabs open and only 1 window.This is typical. 11 are service host svchost.exe (local service, local system or network service). Many of these are (or were) stopped in services, like Windows Image Acquisition, iPod service module

Some are on here twice.They are usually a local account process and a user(name) process. Ex. nasbu.exe, atiesrxx.exe, conhost.exe, csrss.exe. The second one comes and goes.

Service Host:Local System (Network Restricted) What is that?

wlanext.exe-This is a new process I have never seen before. It has always been started even after I stop it, It starts again. Another new one is virtual disk service-vsds.exe. There is a new svchost.exe -Diagnostic Tracking Service. It's name on task manager is utcsvc. Also .Net Windows optimization service.  Maybe these are new with the last update, I don't know But I don't like these things when my disk is running 100% and everything is running slow. Really slow, and not just internet.

Any help you can give me on any of these is really appreciated.

Thanks

#4 mrb5162

mrb5162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

nsbu.exe (norton security with backup; backup is set to manual) 98% +/_

ntoskrnl.exe 69% +/_

chrome.exe 38% +/- (The app as opposed to the background process)

Com Surrogate dllhost.exe 0%-60%

Windows Module Installer Worker 14% when the disk is running 14%

The disk goes from 0% and up to 100% and back down variably.

here are some fun facts I don't understand:

There are 71 processes running. Of those 52 are background processes, 31 backround processes are Google Chrome- currently I have 7 tabs open and only 1 window.This is typical. 11 are service host svchost.exe (local service, local system or network service). Many of these are (or were) stopped in services, like Windows Image Acquisition, iPod service module

Some are on here twice.They are usually a local account process and a user(name) process. Ex. nasbu.exe, atiesrxx.exe, conhost.exe, csrss.exe. The second one comes and goes.

Service Host:Local System (Network Restricted) What is that?

wlanext.exe-This is a new process I have never seen before. It has always been started even after I stop it, It starts again. Another new one is virtual disk service-vsds.exe. There is a new svchost.exe -Diagnostic Tracking Service. It's name on task manager is utcsvc. Also .Net Windows optimization service.  Maybe these are new with the last update, I don't know But I don't like these things when my disk is running 100% and everything is running slow. Really slow, and not just internet.

Any help you can give me on any of these is really appreciated.

Thanks

sorry about the long post-I am hoping some of these might add some insight to the issue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users