Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Graphics Card Dead?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Defender1970

Defender1970

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:14 PM

Hi all.. So let's get to the point. I was on my computer this evening just like every other evening.. Ive got Windows 7 on one HD and 10 on another HD. I usually use Windows 7.

So, I click on a game, it loaded to the main screen, and then as soon as the game started loading up, both screens went black and a had a very rapid sound loop for about 30 or so seconds..

When the computer tried to boot back up, it blue screened and I'm pretty sure it mentioned graphics driver issue.

So I tried again and same thing.. So I tried my Windows 10 install and while the initial load screen loaded up, after that, both of my screens were black.

So I yanked out the graphics card, a gtx 570 and replace it with a nVidia 7800. The 7800 works like a charm.

So then I unplugged the power supply for the 7800 and used the other one (since the 570 takes 2 plugs I wanted to be sure it wasn't a power issue). The 7800 still worked like a charm on both 7 and 10.

So I pulled out the 7800 and reinstalled the 570, and again, blue screens and/or only the VGA adapter is recognized.

So, unless I've missed something, I think my 570 is dead.. Is there anything I missed? And if someone tells me to update the drivers I might scream.. Lol.

Oh, also, when the 570 is in, and while the 2 initial very quick load screens go by, there are 2 lines of text at the top of the screen. With the 570 installed, there are all of a sudden small lines within the text.. I have no idea if this means something, but I thought I'd add it if it does.

Thanks, Defender.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Defender1970

Defender1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:07 AM

Guys.. I could really use an answer on more possible troubleshooting tips before I have to go buy a new card today..

Thanks, Defender

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:01 PM

It does sound like there is a problem with the 570.

I would recommend that you purchase a new NVIDIA card at a store that allows returns. This way, you can test your system with a new video card knowing that you can easily return it if you wish to.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users