Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD transfer without format/Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:29 PM

Greetings,

I have Ubuntu 14.04, installed on a 250GB SSD. The laptop, that the drive is in, is starting to experience too many hardware related issues, and I have decided to use an alternative laptop, to run the OS. I am wondering if it would be possible/safe to install the existing SSD, in the new system without wiping the OS, and having to start over from scratch? I know that with the Windows OS, this is not recommended. I am wondering if this would be different with Ubuntu, due to the proprietary drivers list that the OS offers. The machines are made by two different manufacturers. The laptop, that is experiencing all the hardware issues, is made by Acer. The upgrade will be made by Lenovo. Thank you, for your time. I am looking forward to any replies that I may receive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:20 PM

It is more or less the same as Windows. Ubuntu will install the drivers needed for that particular machine. If it does boot it probably won't run right. I would just save off your data and install Ubuntu on the new machine.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

Thank you, for that information. I would like to go about this the right way, from the get go and not run into any major problems, down the road. I was hoping that with Ubuntu’s open source drivers that this task was going to be a quick one. I guess that I will have to spend more time, than originally anticipated, on this new system. Thank you, again.

#4 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

. . . Ubuntu 14.04, installed on a . . . laptop . . . decided to use an alternative laptop . . . install the existing SSD . . . without wiping the OS . . .

. . . proprietary drivers . . . machines are . . . two different manufacturers . . .

Beachfeet,

I have pulled HDD's out of one system, and had them boot without error, in another.  SSD's should be no different than HDD's.

It is possible that the Ubuntu will just up and run on the new notebook, however, there are some things that have to be checked first.

Start with the architecture.  Are they both 64bit, or both 32bit, or is one 64 and the other 32?

You can run a 32bit OS on a 64bit system, but you will be limited by the OS as to what hardware features you can use. 

You can not run a 64bit OS on a 32bit system.

Next, look at the optional hardware.

First of all, make sure that the hard drive controllers are compatible.  If one is using IDE mode, and the other AHCI, you will run into problems with the bootstrap.  Set the new computer's controller, in the BIOS, to match the old one.  (I believe that SSD's have to run in AHCI, but I could be wrong.)

If the GPU's are different, you will have a problem.  You should be able to overcome this obstacle by un-installing any proprietary video drivers you have.  Ubuntu should re-detect the new GPU.  You may have to re-set your desktop resolution, though.

The other obstacles are sound  and network interface.  These two should not prevent Linux from booting, though.

Linux distro's have become much better than Windows at detecting hardware changes and compensating for them.

That is why live CD/USB disks work so well with almost any hardware.  I have not yet found a system that I can't plug my 32bit Xubuntu USB stick into and have it work.

I suggest you try it, and see.  If it boots, then you are laughing.  If it won't boot, then you will have no choice but to re-install.  You won't know, until you try.

By the way, there are ways to re-install Ubuntu, without loosing you personal data.  We can cross that bridge, when we come to it!

Cheers!

Naught.

#5 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:31 PM

Thank you, for that. I will give it a go, and report back with my findings.

#6 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:43 PM

I installed the SSD, in the new machine, and it did not have any problems booting. The problems, that I did experience, were a serious graphics lag, as well as some speed issues.The disk drive was also not detected, and I was unable to connect, via Wifi. I also noticed that for some reason, the CPU is constantly running at a very high speed. I reinstalled, and updated the OS. I no longer have speed, or graphics issues, and the wireless card is once again recognized. However, I am having a difficult time getting the disc drive to be recognized, and getting that fan to take a break. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users