Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows repair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:26 PM

Hello all,

My son in law has a PC that I suspect has some configuration or driver issues. He no longer has the original install disk and there is no factory fresh partition.

What I would like to know is ...can I use my disk to do a repair install ?

His o.s. is XpPro and so is my disk. Mine is currently installed on another.

Thanks

Where ever you go.................. There you are

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

The disk for repair install has to have the same service pack as the computer being repaired. You should also recover the XP key using Produkey before doing the repair install.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Here is a complete guide on doing a repair install for XP.

I am assuming a System Restore did not solve the issues.

#3 klink1956

klink1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for getting back.

I do not know which service pack his had on the original install. Mine is with sp2. His product key is on a sticker on the machine so that's not an issue.

No system restore will not work. When I try to use it from safe mode it tries to reboot. I cannot get past the Xp screen on a normal boot.

I can do a few things in safe mode most of the time but sometimes trying the same thing a second time causes it to reboot.

A couple of times I was told that new hardware had been installed this is why I suspect a driver issue.

It may be tied to the processor. My one PC has the same processor in it. Under device manager each thread is listed as an individual processor and named,ie: pentium 4 2.6 mhz. On his each listing just says pentium processor. It also just may be a bios difference. Mine is a Dell board and his is an Intel.

Thanks for the link I'll give it a go.

Where ever you go.................. There you are

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

The WIndows key on the sticker may be different then the one found by Produkey if the computer is OEM. OEM's uses a standard key over there whole line called a SLP key that activated when combined with the SLIC table in BIOS. You may need to do a phone activation if using the XP key on the sticker. As you already know, backup any important data such as bookmarks and email if using an email client. 

For Security Purposes you should be up to SP3. There have been many post SP2 patches. Some fixing very large security issues. 

If things do not work out consider putting Linux Mint or Ubuntu on the computer. 

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,746 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:05 PM

If things do not work out consider putting Linux Mint or Ubuntu on the computer. 

This will be your best bet if the pc is being used on the internet! and is perfect for older XP Machines.  Unless you have Software that you need XP, then you might never need it again.  If it is not powerful enough for Widows 7 than this is the best option also.  

Windows 7 takes a lot of work to install...and if the pc is not up to it, will be even more work/time and cost.  Linux however, only takes about 1-1/4hr. for me to install and fully load all Updates, and is free.  So after you create the Install disk you will have it for free, that you will be able to use at any time when needed, again, for free - but donations are welcome.  If you need help just post in the Linux Section.  Here is a link to get you started: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577719/never-tried-linux-before-read-this/

And here is the Linux section link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

And the one at the Top of this Thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527392/with-xp-ending-what-are-your-alternatives/

Edited by pcpunk, 26 March 2016 - 07:08 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users