Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace hard drive with errors: can I clone?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 megan212

megan212

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

Hi
My laptop hard drive is said to have errors and is failing. I had a test done at Dell site and was told I need to change the hard drive soon before it fails completely.
I do have problems with freezes and at least two instances of blue screen with error.

I am happy to change the hard drive but wanted to know if cloning the drive would retain the errors on the new drive. My interest in cloning is only because I have so many small software,etc installed, it would make it easier to clone.

Can you advice me as to how I should go about doing this. I also want to retain my windows 7 in my laptop (my pcs are win 10).

Regards
Megan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:49 PM

I would never clone a failing drive to a known good drive. You would be giving yourself nothing but problems. If you do not have a Windows 7 install disk then you would need to purchase one if you want to retain Windows 7 on laptop. If you know someone who has a Windows 7 install disk of the same version you can use that if you can pull the Windows key using Produkey or better would be to back up your activation files completely using Advanced Token Manager. When running ATM the files are backed up to the folder you unzipped ATM to. Copy the folder to a flash drive. 

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

If you can't find a Windows 7 install disk, there is a way to download a Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench if you have access to another computer.  Since Windows 7 came pre-installed on your laptop, you do have a legal copy and you aren't doing anything wrong.  However, Microsoft may patch this hole at any time, so make sure you act fast.

Follow this article and download the ISO.  Next, follow this other article to create a bootable USB with Rufus.  Extract your Windows key or token files as John instructed and have them ready.  Also, go to Dell and download all the drivers for your model computer in preparation for reinstalling Windows.  Once you have made the Windows 7 USB drive with Rufus, you can create a folder and store the drivers on the same USB once it's big enough.  Next, change your hard drive and install Windows from the USB drive and install Window then your drivers.  You may need to go into the BIOS to change the boot order to your USB drive.

Good luck!

Edited by Agouti, 25 March 2016 - 06:41 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:57 PM

If you can't find a Windows 7 install disk, there is a way to download a Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench if you have access to another computer.  Since Windows 7 came pre-installed on your laptop, you do have a legal copy and you aren't doing anything wrong.  However, Microsoft may patch this hole at any time, so make sure you act fast.

Follow this article and download the ISO.  Next, follow this other article to create a bootable USB with Rufus.  Extract your Windows key or token files as John instructed and have them ready.  Also, go to Dell and download all the drivers for your model computer in preparation for reinstalling Windows.  Once you have made the Windows 7 USB drive with Rufus, you can create a folder and store the drivers on the same USB once it's big enough.  Next, change your hard drive and install Windows from the USB drive and install Window then your drivers.  You may need to go into the BIOS to change the boot order to your USB drive.

Good luck!

Bookmarked. Thanks for this. Hopefully the hack does not go away too soon.

#5 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:13 AM

@ Agouti  Thanks for that one  :thumbup2:

Hedge

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:17 AM

As silly as this is going to sound...

Make a folder DSKTP [yes use that spelling] on your desktop.  Copy ALL of your shortcuts from all of your programs and utilities you've installed into this folder.  After you know you have all your shortcuts copied [not moved] into DSKTP, copy the folder DSKTP onto any external media [usb would be good].

After you have installed your new hard-drive, after getting Windows Prime in good beginning working order.  Copy the folder DSKTP onto your brand new desktop.  Using one shortcut after another as a guide as to what and where, reinstall your programs and utilities onto your new hard-drive.

I did the above a few times after I was forced to do clean Windows ReInstall, and I was able to use DSKTP as my guide, my map to "put back" all my programs and utilities quickly and precisely.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 March 2016 - 05:20 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:07 AM

You're welcome guys. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users